Descent - short film

Hey everyone, just wanted to share a little short film we did with Pierre Lazarevic. Cooked in Blender of course Hope you’ll like it!

24 Likes

Fantastic work!

2 Likes

I have questions…lots of them. Who can I discuss this with?

anyone I guess! :slight_smile:

Ok Pierre, I guess you were part of this. Here go a slew of them, please feel free to be as specific and wordy as possible. Also if you prefer to move this to a direct message that works too:

1. Render engine? Cycles? I suspect so, but want to double check. Any specific sample values or other specifics you can disclose?

2. Smoke sim…did you do this in blender when the vehicle lands? I suspect no, but please let me know.

3. Texturing, was this done in Blender or did you go outside to Substance or other? Did you leverage materials and models from Quixel or other?

4. What was your render resolution and format? EXR? How was the footage processed and edited in post?

5. How much other compositing, post work was done not in blender? Like for instance the storm clouds, or other small details and touches? Anything added after the render in the compositing software?

6. Can you talk about your color grading pipeline and process?

7. Did you use height/displacement maps? If so, I assume those were done using the experimental features in Cycles, unless of course you used a different render.

I think that’s all I got for now, but I’ll think of more. The reason why I’m asking all of this is that I’m about to embark on a similar project, except this one is a feature film.

1 Like

We used both render engine, eevee + cycles. Really depends on the shot, within certain shots we used both and gathered everything afterward. Regarding the sample again it’s on the go, you can’t copy paste one parameter from one shot to an other! We ended up changing the samples regarding what we were rendering. The vdbs for instance needed less samples than the spaceship so for some shot we rendered the vdb separately.
We gonna release some vfx breakdown soon, maybe a process video too!

2 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Ho great!! Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

Love it, great work :smiley:

1 Like

Very impressive! Congratulation

1 Like