Developer Meeting Notes

Because games and DCCs have different requirements and different design goals. Vulkan shifts the maintenance burden towards a developer, quite severely. It’s very verbose and very unforgiving. It suits very well projects of limited scope and particular rendering approach (games), but for applications that vary their rendering and data representations substantially (think different viewport modes and different object modes) it can become quite a challenge to solve.

Yes, decent Vulkan code will probably run faster than equivalent decent OpenGL code. But achieving the former is a lot more work and problem-solving that the latter. Even viewport display will be a quest of its own, let alone real-time renderer.

Vulkan was designed to have a lower overhead!

I suspect that if you think about it, you already know what I consider essential and that I would like it to be in blender 2.82 :wink:

1 Like

i know that is what i was mean :smiley:

Ah, got it :slight_smile:

Even though performance is essential for games, it is also very important for DCCs. Less CPU usage can mean that you may work with more object and edit meshes with more vertices. That’s quite important.

Ok i’ll stop posting Vulkan in this post and if someting move it to a separate post.

This post is about the current development, and though it’s moving at a majro paste I just wanted to raise my concerns.

I’ll start Vulkan/OpenGL discussion and post link here to gain your feedbacks.

Thanks

2 Likes

The question raised is that OpenGL or Vulkan, blender still has some of its parts processed by the CPU … and it is what currently creates the known bottlenecks …
Perhaps it would be more useful to first move everything we can move to GPU …

Lets move Vulkan discussion here:

They could at least leave open the possibility of adding patches currently under active review. If the developer does not respond to critique in a day or so, let the patch see 2.83 as the earliest target.

Though there’s nothing wrong with OpenGL for what Blender currently does, it’s at the end of the road. The guys gambled on OpenGL coexisting with Vulcan, and they lost the bet. It wasn’t clear at all at the time that Vulcan would go on to push out OpenGL in pretty much every new application or game.

Whelp, it doesn’t seem like a raytracing extension for OpenGl is forthcoming, and we do want viewport raytracing, so Vulcan it has to be.

Now that’s what I call dedication. @dfelinto is not just working on Blender, he digitized himself to become part of the code in Blender. Move over, Neo!

11 Likes

What …?

1 Like
1 Like

Oh… in Blender… he gave up his fleshy self. I understand. May your sacrifice bear fruit, Dalai.

3 Likes

Node Geometry/Random Per Island output??? That is absolutely huge. Can’t see it mentioned anywhere here, as this thread is drowning in Vulcan stuff.

4 Likes

i made separate thread to offload Vulcan chat there, so this tread shoudl be back to Developer Meeting notes and related details going forwards.

So feel free to drop by the other thread to chat Vulcan :slight_smile:

1 Like

Custom bevel Profile mmmm, thanks, now I can do beves with supporting edges

6 Likes

Weld modifier committed (looks like initial commit with plans to add more features): https://developer.blender.org/rBf050fa325375ecf8931750baca7846cd830c7370

15 Likes

Yesssssssssss! This will help so much.

what is the weld modifier?