Developer Meeting Notes

Notes for meeting of Monday, 13 January 2020. 10:00 CET / UTC 9:00 on #blender-coders on blender.chat.

Blender 2.82

• As part of maintenance ensure 2.81 and 2.81a are properly tagged. After that the old 2.81 stabilizing branch can be dropped.
  • Linux archive name will be simplified to blender-$version$-linux64.tar.gz , dropping the modifiers glibc217 and x86_64 .
  • Sergey Sharybin will see to it Mantaflow gets fixed by Sebastián Barschkis.

Blender 2.83

• Antonio Vazquez is working on Grease Pencil refactor. As part of this is refactor of area related to datablock evaluation for modifiers. He requests help from Sergey Sharybin on this.
  • LANPR will be after 2.83

Other

• Dalai Felinto would like to move the morning meeting from 10:00 CET to 11:00 CET. Monday morning meetings will from 27th January on be on 11:00 CET (10:00 UTC).

Changes / New Features

Cycles

• Add OptiX AI denoiser support ( Patrick Mours )

GPencil

• Remove is_annotation parameter ( Antonio Vazquez )

Gizmo

• Support 3D arrow gizmos in 2D spaces ( Campbell Barton )
  • Use compatible scale values between 2D/3D gizmos ( Campbell Barton )
  • Use pivot center for UV gizmos ( Campbell Barton )

Keymap

• Industry Compat keymap: Support MMB for immediate transform tool use again ( William Reynish )

Sculpt

• Pose Brush with Inverse Kinematics ( Pablo Dobarro )

USD Exporter

• Properly export objects whose parents are not exported ( Sybren A. Stüvel )
  • Removed ‘Visible Objects Only’ exporter option ( Sybren A. Stüvel )
  • Removed exclusion of ‘Holdout’ collections ( Sybren A. Stüvel )
  • Removed from experimental features ( Sybren A. Stüvel )

Other

• DNA: mark OrigSpace structs as run-time ( Campbell Barton )
  • Edit Mesh: pass in Mesh instead of BMEditMesh to EDBM_update_generic ( Campbell Barton )

Weekly Progress Reports

9 Likes

This is great, although I’ve got a scene featuring DOF that shows heavy compression-like artifacts when using the Optix Denoiser options other than only Color.

Haven’t tested DOF and Optix Denoiser options outside the scene. Do others have the same issue?

2 Likes

Finally.
And hopefully a C++ API in this decade :hugs:

2 Likes

Compared to Python API, C++ API offers absolutely no improvements as long as Blender starts using the Python buffer protocol to push various data.

1 Like
  1. 512 Sample without denoise.
  2. Optix denoise color.
  3. Optix denoise color+albedo+normal.
  4. Optix denoise color+albedo+normal WITHOUT DOF.

Bug? Or Optix feature? :wink:

Edit: it seems it’s not only with DOF artifacts.

Edit 2: There is more to it. I’ve changed colors, and artifacts was different for different color patterns. I can’t see any truths to it though. It’s like optix don’t like blue/green shades but… not always.

4 Likes

Thanks, interesting! I guess these are some growing pains of the Blender implementation.

I am observing how devs are quickly organizing after Tracker curfew , they are now much faster at sorting bugs by categories, they are transforming random proposals into to-do and know issues, and everything is accelerating.
it is fascinating, I am also learning many things even if i am only a passionate observer and at the most I report some bugs or I give some suggestion when it happens.
I am happy to be here in this historical moment and to have the opportunity to see how a comunity organizes itself. :dizzy:

9 Likes

maybe you should open a bug report, it could happen that the optix denoise developer does not read your comment

I need more tests to be able to easily reproduce it.

1 Like

I have noticed the last few weeks that some of my older bug reports have been poked at by the devs in some form. Some have been merged, some have been addressed, some have been dismissed, some have been confirmed, and some have been marked as known issues.

It’s nice to see that the devs are becoming more organised so it is easier to follow their short and long term plans.

6 Likes

if they create a page that allows to easily monitor and access the various bugs, todo and know issues with data trend graphs divided by modules it would be very useful.

1 Like

Luca Rood is working his magic in the area of dynamics again.
https://developer.blender.org/D6545

In short, hair physics that work, even for long strands.

14 Likes

The hair physics that work is in master now.
https://developer.blender.org/rBd42a7bbd6ea57c69293d3bf978aae2c0e4241b57

It won’t be in 2.82 though, so grab tonight’s buildbot build for 2.83 if you need it in production. I do like how long standing issues are being tackled more often now.

6 Likes

It would be nice to see some love on the outstanding IO issues, esp. FXB import and Alembic ones.

FBX camera import is still completely borked, and Alembic still hasn’t got motion vector support for motion blur rendering. Also, replacing a existing Alembix sequence in the scene is not impossible?

These are some of the reasons we still struggle to fully implement Blender in our workflow.

Stop being the next AD with all the new features, do a step back and fix things for a couple of point releases please… :wink:

5 Likes

Yes, please make the ‘Only Selected’ checkbox activated by default for all export formats, Blender devs. :pray:

13 Likes

The ‘Selection Only’ option during export being activated by default might happen soon! Support the task by awarding a token. :+1:

12 Likes

Nice! It’s the most sensical default setting when you often have lots of leftover objects while working. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Reminder: Starting next week, the “early” meeting begins one hour later.

Announcements

Blender 2.82 - bcon3

• Libraries are being upgraded to match the VFX reference platform 2020. (task )
  • The 2.82 Workboard was updated by Brecht with the missing documentations and critical bugs. Mantaflow bugs were not visited, but Sebastian Barschkis will tag them accordingly.
  • Reminder to developers to at the very least update the release log after committing a feature.
  • Aaron Carlisle (blendify) can help with the Reference Manual [8] update, but it is up to the developers to be sure Aaron has everything he needs to document the feature (help him with images, and pointing him where he can learn how to use the features. If not sure about this contact release manager - Nathan Letwory (jesterKing).
  • Ray (LazyDodo) asked for review of D6542 , which Brecht did during the meeting already.

Blender 2.83 - bcon1

• Bastien Montagne brings the attention to T73268 . The developmenet team should investigate other ways to make complex GTests, than linking whole blend code over and over.
  • Dalai Felinto brings up that we did a really bad job in 2.82 of spreading new feautures throughout the bcon1 cycle. Let’s not let everyone to the last days again.

Changes and New Features

• Hair physics collision was much improved, sharing code with the cloth solver. (video ) ( Luca Rood )
  • Python no longer uses environment variables like PYTHONPATH , unless --use-python-env is specified on the command line. This prevents hard to understand crashes when such environment variables point to incompatible Python versions. ( Campbell Barton )
  • Scene preview frame range is no longer clamped to the render frame range. ( Sebastian Parborg )
  • Extend selection with the Tweak tool is now more responsive, happening on mouse press. ( William Reynish )

Weekly Progress Reports

7 Likes

I can understand this, but confining all user feedback to a section that’s generically called “Other Topics” does feel a bit like segregation, while Blender should be an open platform with constructive communication between developers and users.

2 Likes

the reason is that this user feedback is out of control. there is too much feedback that can’t be sorted and translated to actual development. They need a moderator who keeps contrusctive feedback open and keep the discussion going so papers and tasks can be created and who immediately closed spam threads.

BTW Unified Simulation System sounds like a good plan!

3 Likes