Developer Meeting Notes

How about aiming for performance of other 3d packages, Blender 2.7x wasn’t a beacon of performance in that area after all.

7 Likes

Was thinking the same thing. I obviously don’t want to underestimate the tasks at hand but getting what we had in 2.79 doesn’t seem to be very ambitious nor promising. Just from a user point of view, strictly. Obviously it’s a huge task, they’ve been at it for a while now.

Anyhow, fingers crossed.

I mean only place where 2.7x performance do really shine over 2.80 is editing mesh WITH modifiers like Subsurf to the point where meeting 2.7x performance would be miracle right now. But task clearly mentions

???
Like i don’t think i even run into noticeable difference between 2.7x and 2.80 for that, both are equally horrible at it in comparison to other packages.

I’d be interested to see the tasks on the developers page, if there are any in progress. It’s super interesting to follow the undo development, could make a good read when having my morning coffee.

Performance will obviously be a huge thing for big companies, nobody wants their workforce to struggle with slow tools. I’m sure they will come up with something and I’m glad it’s a priority at least on paper - but ye, I wish they would have said “get on par with other packages in terms of performance”

Speaking of undo, does anyone know if there’s a build for that branch somewhere?

he was just quoting the community i think, he didn’t set the goal to 2.7x performance

25 Likes

Exciting!! Can’t wait to see what people make with this!

1 Like

What a way to misinterpret and misrepresent a quote. That quote was concerning the 2.80 performance of subsurf, before 2.80 was even released.

How else that quote can be understood in context about editing high poly objects without modifiers?
If reader need some external knowledge of that quote perhaps it should have not posted there?
Why isn’t it used in context of improving subsurf instead, which isn’t mentioned thru out the blog at all despite being one of most requested thing.

1 Like

Wow, I’m sorry, it would seem misinterpretation and misrepresentation was mine.

I am glad that they will tackle faster animation playback, right now u can’t use the viewport with Eevee on for animattion as everything slows down.
Brought a rig from Maya which runs 100 FPS in the viewport 2.0 with everything enabled but in Blender it’s 4-6 FPS with just the armature modifier, it seems the modifier is extremely slow so u have to do it the old 2005 way by cutting the mesh and parent it.

If you try to sync animation and sound (like lip sync), animation playback speed becomes essential. Its a pain to work for hours and see that movements and sounds are out of sync in the test render.

I am glad this one is tackled.

1 Like

Notes for meeting of Monday, 3 February 2020. 18:00 CET / UTC 17:00 on #blender-coders on blender.chat.

Announcements

• blender.org was under DDoS attack last week, but all seems well. Kudos for Dan McGrath and Sergey Sharybin for keeping an eye on things.
  • The 2020 big projects proposal was posed on code.blender.org. No big concern was raised so for now we move on with them.
  • LA Blender conference was official confirmed, dates: June 1 and 2. Call for talks and tickets will come later.
  • Tracker curfew is under 1,000 open issues, great work everyone.
  • This Friday we start the code quality day (first Friday of each month), email to bf-committers will be sent soon. Everyone interested in been involved can hang out on blender.chat to help tackle technical debts, code refactoring, variables renaming, …
  • Aaron Carlisle is working with Nathan Letwory on a Git-LFS support proposal. The idea is to start with the manual. Dalai Felinto suggest them to write to bf-committers since this is a big topic.

Blender 2.82 - bcon3

• bcon4 starts this Thursday, so everyone be sure to commit bugs before that.
  • Anything that comes after must be a critical fix.
  • Users encouraged to treat builds from Thursday on as release candidates, please test them as much as possible.

Blender 2.83 - bcon1

• Nothing to report.

FOSDEM

Changes and New Features

• User Interface:
    • Info editor visual refresh. ( Harley Acheson )
    • NLA editor sidebar layout reorganized. ( William Reynish )
    • File browser has improved system paths and icons on all platforms. ( Yevgeny Makarov, Harley Acheson )
    • Tweaks to sculpt symmetry and BVH user interface layout. ( William Reynish )
    • Better icon sharpness preservation at different UI scales. ( Yevgeny Makarov )
    • Text kerning improvements when using translation. ( Harley Acheson )
    • More platform standard shortcut naming in menus. ( Harley Acheson )
  • Objects: Affect Parents option now works for snapping and clear transform. ( Campbell Barton )
  • Modifiers: cast, warp and displace modifiers now have an invert vertex group option. ( Cody Winchester )
  • Eevee: tangent space normal map support for curves and surfaces. ( Clément Foucault )
  • Shading: color output for White Noise node. ( Charlie Jolly )
  • macOS daily builds on builder.blender.org are now code-signed, so they can be run without having to change the system preferences. ( Sergey Sharybin )

Weekly Reports

5 Likes

Commit all bugs!

6 Likes

Will this be available in 2.82 or is it meant for 2.83?
Does it perform faster than 0 detail noise?
Is the value output unique or a clone of any of the color channels?

I would also like to see a three shade preview output in the map range node; black = clips below, white = clips above, solid gray = no clip. Tweaking musgrave generator with map range to produce “legal ranges” is very hard because you don’t know if it clips or not.

Value and Color output are hashed separately. Noise is Perlin and white noise is hashed so are different. Should be quicker but no controls. 2.83 release.

Out of range node is something I’ve thought about and have node group. Maybe add a proposal on right click select?

1 Like

Ok, good. One more random channel to utilise. Just re-checked noise and fac output is identical to red color channel. Updated white noise wasn’t in most recent 2.82 beta build.

I didn’t spot that. Oops!

Epic Games is apparently making an official Blender -> UE addon.

23 Likes

https://twitter.com/BlenderDev/status/1224702636471083011

10 Likes