Developer Meeting Notes

The “-0m” is superfluous though. It also kind of doesn’t make sense to have two negative signs and two different units in a field like that.

7 Likes

I am quite sure that most users would like to see a “stable” numbers instead of those FP numbers. Hadriscus: if there would be option to turn these FP numbers off i would be very happy. I need simple clean usability like for example 2 m 47.5 cm (2475 mm) without those numbers appearing sometimes. I often keep snap to grid option when constructing game/archviz assets and even then those numbers appear into modifiers or elsewhere.

I am no mathematician, but it should be possible to prevent those numbers somehow for average users?

1 Like

They could simply be clamped to the second decimal for display. That ought to be easy. Really I’m sure I remember a time when this was possible… Maybe I’m mixing up with another program.

2 Likes

Announcements

Modules

Projects

No projects with updates this week.

New Features and Changes

Rendering

• Faster animation and re-rendering with persistent data (commit ) (Brecht Van Lommel)
  • EEVEE: Use a new implementation for reflections (commit ) (Clément Foucault)
  • Cycles: Update Light Paths preset (commit ) (Brecht Van Lommel)

Geometry Nodes

• Bounding box node (commit , commit ) (Hans Goudey)
  • Significantly improve speed of some mesh primitives (commit ) (Hans Goudey)
  • Support instances in attribute search (commit ) (Hans Goudey)
  • Use distance units for socket values (commit ) (Wannes Malfait)
  • Rename grid output UV attribute (commit ) (Hans Goudey)

Spreadsheet Editor

• Support showing the data for a specific node (commit ) (Jacques Lucke)

User Interface

• Add Alt-Click selection for a list of bones under the cursor (commit ) (Sebastian Parborg)
  • Text Editor: Don’t force other views to follow the cursor (commit ) (Campbell Barton)
  • Remove confusing “Unset” button context menu entry (commit ) (Julian Eisel)

Library Overrides

• Add a dedicated view in the Outliner for override information (commit ) (Bastien Montagne)

Weekly Reports

Summary
8 Likes

Welcome

• Ankit Meel is receiving a development grant to help with bug triaging.

Announcements

Modules

No module activity reported this week.

Projects

No project activity reported this week.

New Features and Changes

Video Sequence Editor

• Adjust default proxy settings (commit ) (Richard Antalik)

Spreadsheet Editor

• Breadcrumbs and node pinning (commit ) (Jacques Lucke)
  • Rename Point to Vertex for meshes in the spreadsheet (commit ) (Jacques Lucke)

Geometry Nodes

• Add domain and data type to attribute search (commit ) (Hans Goudey)
  • Realize instances when applying node modifiers (commit ) (Hans Goudey)
  • Improve speed of implicit attribute conversions (commit ) (Jacques Lucke)
  • Automatically convert data types when writing to builtin attributes (commit)
  • Add custom tooltips for group input properties (commit ) (Fabian Schempp)

Modeling

• Snap to cage geometry in the measure tool (commit ) (Germano Cavalcante)

User Interface

• Add a workspace for geometry nodes in the default startup file (commit ) (Hans Goudey)
  • Improve feedback when adding node fails (e.g. on drag & drop) (commit ) (Julian Eisel)
  • Remove (revert) the camera lock gizmo button (commit ) (Harley Acheson)
  • Various naming tweaks (commit , commit) (Hans Goudey, Aaron Carlisle)

Sculpt

• Enable transfer mode functionality for switching objects in Sculpt Mode (commit ) (Pablo Dobarro)
  • Update menu entries for new Expand operator (commit ) (Pablo Dobarro)

Grease Pencil

• Invert color offsetting for Single and Object mode (commit ) (Antonio Vazquez)

Weekly Reports

Summary
5 Likes

Aww, disappointing to see that one stuffed back in the UI bike-shed.

Probably could get rid of the lock camera to view option entirely and just have it always locked to the camera while in camera view. If the user doesn’t want to accidentally move the camera, they can lock the camera position like any other object (currently lock camera to view doesn’t respect transform locks, though)

3 Likes

That would be really annoying when animating a camera.

3 Likes

Ah yeah, I see your point. I was just thinking out loud really. It doesn’t matter much, the UI Team seems to be rarely active, so it’s likely to stay as it is anyway.

It was just nice not needing to go into the n panel to turn that setting on/off.

Yea, currently UI module is headless and William Reynish left BF while ago.
UI team is somewhat active, but in small things that dont require design decisions

unfortunately UI is controversial and it needs good design even with small things of where to put button
especially in Blender whose trapped itself with many design choices and sometimes we have things like: dont put shortcuts on readable list in viewport because 5 people that are using VSE wont see them² :p.

btw are hud things like this are still planned?
They were considered when 2.8 started but recently i only saw this.

² - it’s a joke, dont be angry if you are one of those 5 ppl :wink:

3 Likes

All I need is the ability to undo the camera move. That doesn’t even need UI.

2 Likes

You can’t undo camera move???

No. You can’t.

This is good news:

More info in the roadmap blog post:

9 Likes

Hmmm, we shall see, we shall see… :thinking:

8 Likes

iamwatchingyou me i be like hmmmm…

1 Like

Hmmm… mostly follow-ups from the 2020 roadmap. Hopefully they will finish some of them this year. (granted, none of these are trivial to do).

1 Like

The track record doesn’t look good.

That looks more realistic than 2020 targets.
They are not mentioning as projects things that have not begun.
They are only mentioning those kind of things, requested by users, as surprises.

With Blender 3.0 delayed only of 2/3 weeks to handle user interface workshop, I doubt that they will have time to accomplish a lot of surprises.
1 week to find a solution to problem and make it real. 1 week to warn community how it works, collect feedback. 1 week to polish and stabilize.
That could work for 3 or 4 middle feature targets. That will not work for 9 big features.

I think that the most satisfying solution for users would be a delay until usual Blender Conference date, end of October.
September looks like a date to satisfy a typical marketing schedule sponsors are used to rather than a meaningful schedule for community members and developers.

6 Likes

!!!

:exploding_head:

i am not that impressed that is available, but it will be impressing when we see the new features and fixes done for that final future release, specially mesh editing performance, sculpting, modelling tools, etc…

9 Likes