Did you know...

Hey guys, I have an idea, but I need your help! Actually it’s nothing new, but it’s not executed yet, I think mainly because there’s no such source available yet… Well, at least not on one place…

Idea is simple, just write some Blender fact. On example:

Did you know that is Blender now 14 years old? Its first line was written back in 1994.

or

Did you know that you can hide just a part of the face with Alt-Bkey? You can reveal it back with Alt-Bkey again btw…
:smiley:

So, if we’ll be able to make a good Blender facts collection, we can use it later for many things: bots, popup tips, etc… Hey, maybe it can emerge one day even in Blender!

I hope we’ll have fun & thank you for any Blender fact!

Great Idea popski!!

why not do it on the wiki? One of the big problems with blender is that the knowledgebase is so fragmented.

Thanks, but you don’t know any Blender facts?! :eyebrowlift:

Did you know that I can put your great Blender facts on wiki too?! :eyebrowlift:

Well thers already a link there on the wiki…
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/Cool_Things

Towards the end of the page,under the title “Blender “Easter Eggs” (Weird things included in blender)” it says “Try this: run blender with the -Y argument (open the command prompt/terminal, go to your blender executable file folder, and type blender -Y)”…whats so weird about it…it just started Blender for me…

@Mr.KEWL: Here is what you get when you run Blender with the -Y command line:

-y was used to disable script links because,
-p being taken, Ton was of the opinion that Y
looked like a split (disabled) snake, and also
was similar to a python’s tongue (unproven).
Zr agreed because it gave him a reason to add a
completely useless text into Blender.
ADDENDUM! Ton, in defense, found this picture of
an Australian python, exhibiting her (his/its) forked
Y tongue. It could be part of an H Zr retorted!
http://www.users.bigpond.com/snake.man/

oh…now i got it…ws using -y instead of -Y(silly me!!!)…really weird…

OK, there are a few indeed, but Blender have hundreds more!

Did you know that you can reset scale, translation and rotation in pose mode with Alt-Skey, Alt-Gkey and Alt-Rkey?

If you press shift f in object mode you go into fly mode.

Did you know you can apply SubSurf levels 1-4 to an object with Ctrl-1key, Ctrl-2key, Ctrl-3key & Ctrl-4key?

No, I didn’t know that!

Did you know that you can apply different constraints by selecting two bones in pose mode and press Ctrl-Alt-Ckey?

Did you know that you can apply a ik constraints by selecting two bones in pose mode and press Ctrl-i ?

and

Did you know that you can copy/paste text/color/number that is in the UI just by overing the field (no need to click in it) with the cursor and by pressing ctrl+c to copy and ctrl+v to paste ?

Peace :-).

Here’s a couple:

Did you know that you can parent object’s without inverse (doesn’t retain offset) by using shift-ctrl-p?

Did you know that when changing selection mode, you can use ctrl to retain current selection? (Ie. hit some selection mode in the 3D viewport header while pressing ctrl down.)

Did you know you can use j to access secondary render buffer on the render view (works in either window or image editor depending on setting)?

Did you know you can use secondary orientation when transforming if you hit desired axis twice? This secondary orientation used is defined by alt-space menu which can also be found at the 3D viewport header.

Did you know that you can constraint orientation on wanted plane using shift-<axis not to constraint>? This works with previous tip too in case you hit that hotkey twice.

Did you know that using some other filter instead of Gauss when rendering using oversampling produces sharper images? By default Gauss is a blurring filter. You can set the oversampling filter used in the Render panel.

Did you know you can type in Python expressions directly into fields? Try something like “4*6.4” or “m.pi”. m is short for “math” and it refers to the math module of Python. Check it out for available functions to use.

Did you know you can use shift-function keys to access different views? Try shift-f5 (3d viewport) for instance.

Did you know that we know too much?

but, yeh.
i like this.
i might learn something new.

They’re all blurring filters, actually (except maybe Box). The only difference is in how samples are weighted when averaging them together to produce the final pixel.
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Oversampling_(Antialiasing)

I should have rephrased that. The point was that Gauss is the most blurring filter. Usually it’s better to use Catmull-Rom or Mitch.

Agreed. :slight_smile:

oOo, eminent! Thank you BeBraw for this nice facts bouquet!

Hey, if we’ll get also some other coders into this fun will be amazing!

Did you know that are currently in Blender trunk also some magic hotkeys with a special “” characters which you can trig only if you have special keyboard setup? Did you know that will be possible to change this default in Blender 2.50+ only? :rolleyes:

Hey, did you know that nearly all of this stuff is in the manual?

Haha, good one! [included] :smiley:

Edit: Deleted, things are changing on better… :yes: