Dinoreplicas 2D Doodles

I love dinosaurs, and love what you’re doing. Keep it up. :smiley:

I love dinosaurs, and love what you’re doing. Keep it up. :smiley:

Thanks. Got a bit further with it.

2 Likes

This is the stuff I’ve been using to put paint on the wall. The mural is just about complete so I’ve decided it’s not worth taking another intermediate photo. I’m just going to crack on until it’s finished.

2 Likes

Had some queries as to how I got the image on the wall with correct proportions so here’s the diagram I used to manually transfer the lines (made 1/10th scale on the computer). Grid divisions represent 250mm.

2 Likes

This has been pretty much finished since Tuesday but as usual I’ve been slow getting photos sorted.
We took a couple of close-ups which I’ll put up when I receive them.

Made a W.I.P. pic and an animated GIF sequence

3 Likes

A few larger images with a more ‘straight on’ view

Close-up and crop

6 Likes

Nice work I love the color scheme both in general and specially with the two foremost dinos. Good amount of detail to fill it but without overwhelming the eyes. Good Job.

1 Like

Thanks, really glad you like it.

Been toying with the idea of making more 3D dinos so I’ve finally made a start. I fancy recreating the Ceratosaurus/Stegosaurus face off that I did for the mural or at least a version of it.

The Cerato is one of my all time favourites, a more primitive theropod than the Allosaurus it lived alongside, it has a slightly awkward shape that’s irresistible from a drawing/sculpting perspective. The 3 horns are spectacular and iconic. Drawn this on A4 copier paper at 1:20th scale, the skull is 1:10th scale. It represents the holotype specimen, USNM 4735. There’s a few references around to help with proportions including the original reconstructions by Charles Gilmore, his 1920 paper is available online.

For scale drawing I have a scale rulers PDF I made a few years ago with 9 scales between 1:8 and 1:48, it wasn’t necessary for the Cerato drawing as 1:10/1:20 is easy to measure but it comes in handy on occasion. When printing I have to make sure the output is set to 100%, those ‘Shrink to fit page’ settings can be troublesome. It’s A4 paper size but I could probably do a US letter sized one if anyone wanted one.

Scale rulers PDF download on Deviantart

If the 3D part takes off I’ll probably move it into a WIP thread.

1 Like

These sketches help me get into the form of the object. It feels like procrastination but I seem to benefit from messing about drawing before I start 3D modelling. I know this is quite derivative of my mural image. I seem to have a fondness for these front-on views of running theropods.

The monitor died on my desktop PC so I’ve been mostly off-grid for the past few weeks. Rather than replace it I got myself a pen display from XP-Pen. It’s only 15.6". At some point I’ll need a new full size screen but my puny 13yr old PC is a bit laggy supporting 2 displays (it’s been tried).

I made a little frame to hold the screen upright for general use but allows it to be unclipped and placed flat when I want to draw with it. It’s a bit of a rough prototype but I’ll probably refine it at some point.

So lately I haven’t done much creatively but I’m sort of up and running again and keen to see how the pen display compares with my Surface-Pro.

As it happen I’m putting the dinosaurs away for a while. Grandson No. 2 now has his own bedroom and he’s asking for a Paw Patrol mural so that’s what I’ll be working on next. I’ve measured the space and I’m gearing up for design and layout.

1 Like

Seeing as a fitted wardrobe covers one side of the room, I think the best space is the opposite corner next to the door. Probably going to put PP pups on both sides of the corner.

I’ve been familiarising myself with the show and phew! It’s got more characters than one of those Avengers films. Normally I’m not keen on fan art but for the little guy I happily make an execption.

Couple of warm up sketches, just trying to get into the style of the characters.

2 Likes

As it’s for a 3yr old I want to keep the image fairly simple with clear separation between the characters. What I’m thinking is having the pups sort of burst out from the corner towards the viewer. 10 figures plus the logo with the option to add more later to the right. Maybe have a starburst effect behind the characters.

1 Like

Worked over the sketch to establish the poses. Still not completely familiar with the characters which is why I need the checklist to count them off as I add them :grinning:

2 Likes

Gaaagh! forgot to take the light switch into account, that was careless of me :grinning:.
So I’m adjusting the layout, raising tracker above the switch and moving Rocky to the opposite side above Zuma and under Skye.

I’ve also divided the area into 100mm squares, want a finer wall-transfer grid than I used for the dinosaurs. I’ll re-draw the details over this scribble, maybe tonight if I’m not busy. I prefer to re-draw rather than re-use 'cause it keeps the line-work fresh.

I did end up re-using the first sketch but with sections re-drawn and positions adjusted on the original parts.

1 Like

Been away from this for too long. I really want to get the digital draft finished so I can start putting paint on the wall.

Decided on a canvas size of 4300 pixels wide for the draft. There’s no colour harmony needed for this rainbow hued cartoon image so I can conveniently chop the scene up and paint the characters individually.

Rubble on the double!

Paint sequence for Rubble, might as well start with my favourite pup :grinning:. I prefer to keep the colouring as simple as possible with a shade and a highlight layer.

1 Like

“Arf! Arf!” it’s Robo-Dog - From woof sketch to finished item

Looking with fresh eyes at the Rubble drawing I did yesterday I’ve a few issues, the head proportions are a little funky and I don’t like the teeth. Might redraw or maybe try to adjust when I put on the wall. It’ll keep for a while, need to get a few more pups drawn tonight.

1 Like

Added Tracker, Skye and Rocky.

2 Likes