Discombobulator New Version 9-26-05

Well, I guess I can look into the mouse wheel scrolling. I think it is supported now and it might not be too difficult. As far as saving settings go, I think that would be a good addition. I agree, the default settings are kinda stupid.

kencanvey, does that happen every time? I am not able to reproduce it yet, but I could probably try a few more things.

Right now, I am away from home, so I don’t really have access to everything. When I get back, though, I can try out a few things.

Thanks for the C&C

Hi syrux

I like you script good work, and yes it does happen every time.

Ken

Ok well I was thinking about using this to panel a hull but the thing is, well two things really.

1. It only protrudes from a single face at a time, it would be really useful to have it protrude from regions that have normal angles within a set limit, like a random region. That would make paneling hulls way faster then doing the cuts by hand. To that end the protrusion would need to be inset from the edges of the region a little or it wouldn’t look right.

2. The taper it has now is nice, but a handy option to have would be to extrude or protrude once more a smaller amount then taper. Maybe as another set of options for the second protrusion on/off and amount.

This script is really good, obviously but it looks to non random in the layout of faces to really get believable greeble for me anyway. I know it started as a city builder and I could do all the cuts manually first but then I’d have to model the hull missing some loops that give it it’s overall shape.

Anyway cheers.

I agree :wink:

Anyone else getting this error with blender 2.40 and the discombobulator script? (This is on SuSE Linux kernel 2.6, I think I still only have python 2.3 installed if that helps any)

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “discombobulator.p”, line 1579, in bevent
File “discombobulator.p”, line 1214, in discombobulate
File “discombobulator.p”, line 254, in copyObjStuff
RuntimeError: object must be linked to object data (e.g. to a mesh) first

It seems to work ok for me with python 2.4 as long as i don’t have it copy the object. Seems there is a problem with python 2.4 or blender 2.40 and whatever the script does when it copies the mesh.

Thanks for the idea, it works for me too if I don’t copy first. python 2.3, and blender 2.40

Discom works fine for me! windows xp sp2, and with copy first on, hmmm

Ken

DUDE! it keeps telling me that the object must be linked to object data and it won’t work!
What’s wrong…nm

I have a question/problem or two about your Discombobulator plugin. First, when having the protrusions on, Blender (at least as of 2.46, not sure about older versions) will just suddenly crash and exit without warning when I press the button to make the greebles on my mesh. It does this completely randomly and there’s no warning. Oftentimes I find myself constantly hitting Ctrl+W to save after every little step. Any idea what would be causing this?

Second, was just wondering if there might be any future script updates. I notice it’s been there since only Sept. 2005 so I thought I’d ask and see if you’ve got anything new or any new ideas for us. :slight_smile:

Still works for me
even in blender version 2.48

it does nothing here. 2.49a

It works for me … - I just put an object and well run the script. In traditional art there is an image I put up using the discombulator.