Discombobulator New Version 9-26-05

September 26, 2005:New Version 2.1 is here. Major changes include:
> Works with Blender CVS and hopefully with Blender 2.40.
> Will keep previously assigned materials.
> Now allows user to assign custom material indices to Protrusion and Doodad Sides and Tops.
> The initial Gui Layout will change depending on the aspect ratio of the window it is in.
> Using the arrow keys will scroll the gui.
A side note: for assigning material indices to each part, a 0 will cause that part to recieve whatever material was assigned to the original face. Discombobulator will create materials as needed by the assigned indices, up to 4. Any thing past that will be set to the highest material index available.

It’s here, at the same link (only updated):
http://evan.nerdsofparadise.com/programs/discombobulator/discombobulator.zip.
It’s a zip file: just unzip the files into your Blender scripts directory. On Linux, that is ~/.blender/scripts. On Windows and Mac I don’t know where the directory is, so someone will have to fill me in :|. You can run it from the scripts menu in the Scripts window under Mesh.

There is also a small mini tutorial at http://evan.nerdsofparadise.com/programs/discombobulator/tutorial.html if you need help learning what functions do. An update for version 2.1 is in the works.

Here is a sample render that I made with Discombobulator:
http://evan.nerdsofparadise.com/3d/discombobulatetest.html

Oh yeah, have fun too :smiley: .

Wow :o Great work! :slight_smile: But how about an option to only place doodads on the selected faces? That would come in handy IMO.

Yeah… uh… by the way, If you downloaded it within the past few minutes, you should re-download it. I had a certain try except statement commented out for debugging purposes, so you can either re-download it or make sure that you have an object selected before clicking the “Discombobulate” button.

I CAN’T resissst!!!
http://www.iespana.es/klopes/temp/destroyer.jpg
Great script, thank you!

That looks excellent. Thanks very much. Have to give the script a try. Now if someone would just put together a procedural building-windows script with lights and noise to simulate interiors. . . (bump, frame, spec, : )

Looks really good and improved. I’ve already used your old version of the script to give some of my stuff a more detailed look. But now with the doodats function the whole thing is really even better, I’m sure I’ll have many uses for your script. Great Job!

I can’t seem to save the blend file. Every attempt I’ve made has failed. Any ideas?

the ‘doodads’ you refer to are technically called ‘nurnies.’ They are things that have no real function, but are there to provide context to the main features. Just look at Star Wars, the star destroyer and death star are covered in them.

Oh, and I have no need for the script now, but good to have another person making scripts.

Yeah, that’s right… Wow, I completely forgot to put that in. I’ll try to get that in soon. Thanks.

The webserver I use can be a little weird, just try the link like 10 minutes later.

Really? I guess I’ll have to do some more research :slight_smile: . Hmmm… should I call them accoutrements, dingbats, buggers, dohickeys, dojiggies, fandangles, gaff, gimcracks, gimmicks, gizmoos, habiliments, jiggers, nurnies, stuff, things, thingamajigs, thingamajiggers, whatchamacallits, whatsis, or widgets… Heh… sorry, got carried away with Thesaurus.com. I’m amazed that some are even in the thesaurus.

Anyway, thanks for the comments, and I’ll try to get the doodads on selected faces thing done. By the way, your imperial star destroyer looks cool klopes :wink: .And I might do some versioning by the names of the doodads, nurnies, dealywhoppers, or whatever. This one so far is the Doodad version :smiley: .

Have fun.

Could someone host the file, so us patience-challenged people can DL and play with it? %| I’ve been trying to DL all day, but nada :-?

Awsome work!

Would be a very welcome addition to the standard blender plugin set

Would you consider to propose this to the developers?

anyway, very nicely done

greets

Yes, they’ve been called Nurnies for a while, by CG crowd anyway. A google search will turn up a few pages. http://www.etekworld.com/content/view/31/42/
Looking at the above page might give some nice ideas on some other random shapes that could be attached as well.

Bellorum, the blend is downloading fine here. Did you get it yet?

I placed the following at the top of the discombobulator.py script and it worked fine in the misc menu:

#!BPY

“”" Registration info for Blender menus:
Name: ‘Discombobulator’
Blender: 232
Group: ‘Misc’
Tip: ‘Adds doodads as detail to objects’
“”"

Maybe my tip wasn’t quite accurate, but hey … who cares?

being able to define custom widgets would be a nice feature, like the old city block scripts buildings. that script no longer works i believe, part of beast(also bit quiet).

it’d be alot of work, but would be good

Yeah, as I mentioned before, this seems to be problem. Does anyone know of an imageshack type thing for small files?

Maybe when I get it more polished off. How would I go about doing that anyway? Blender.org?

Yeah, I looked them up on dictionary.com, but I didn’t really get any results. I checked out the page you linked, and found some info at wikipedia. I never knew that before. I recall hearing the term, but never really put it in context.

Actually, I wrote the defaultdoodads.py script with customizing in mind. Only problem is that with the current setup, you can only create a shape that gets extruded once. In other words, you couldn’t place pipes or anything that is more than an extruded shape. I’ll look into it for the future though.

DYeater, did you mean you couldn’t save the blend file in Blender? If so did you get it to work? It works here (but of course a program always works fine on the developer’s computer ;)). If you didn’t get it to work, you can try creating a new blend file and append the three *.py files.

Thanks, again, for the suggestions and comments. I will get to working on it again once finals are over (Sooo much studying, but getting close :)).

Ok. I figured out a solution. For some reason, Firefox want’s to save the blend as an HTML-file, so I just put it within quotationmarks, and it worked:)

Edit:

Whoa! This is a kewl script, man:)

You can get an account on the blender wiki, then you can host both the script and the blend file there.

http://wiki.blender.org

LetterRip

Yeah, as I mentioned before, this seems to be problem. Does anyone know of an imageshack type thing for small files?

Maybe when I get it more polished off. How would I go about doing that anyway? Blender.org?

Yeah, I looked them up on dictionary.com, but I didn’t really get any results. I checked out the page you linked, and found some info at wikipedia. I never knew that before. I recall hearing the term, but never really put it in context.

Actually, I wrote the defaultdoodads.py script with customizing in mind. Only problem is that with the current setup, you can only create a shape that gets extruded once. In other words, you couldn’t place pipes or anything that is more than an extruded shape. I’ll look into it for the future though.

DYeater, did you mean you couldn’t save the blend file in Blender? If so did you get it to work? It works here (but of course a program always works fine on the developer’s computer ;)). If you didn’t get it to work, you can try creating a new blend file and append the three *.py files.

Thanks, again, for the suggestions and comments. I will get to working on it again once finals are over (Sooo much studying, but getting close :)).[/quote]

No, I just saved them as py files from the text screen … added the header to the discombobulator.py script … and it worked fine. Thanks for asking though, and thanks for the script. I’m sure it will be of tremendous use to me as well as others. Adding detail is always a chore. Looking forward to the updates and the completed selected faces section.

One question (might be stupid so be warned) but…do I have to work with your .blend file all the time so that the script has access to the doodats/widgets/whatever or is it somehow possible to use the script (and doodats) in another .blend file, too?
Hope you get the point =/

If you read my last post, you’ll see that you can save the py files (three of them). If you add the heading from an earlier post of mine, you can load discombobulator.py from the scripts menu … if not, you can load them into a text screen and execute them from there (alt p). discombobulator.py is the main file and the other two are imported automatically. Hope this helps :slight_smile: