Discuss LightWave workflows and LightWave/Blender comparisions here

In this sort of situation, I tend to use alt+click so I can choose the object from the dropdown, not perfect if you haven’t named your objects, but at least better than just keep clicking hoping to find the object you want selected.

1 Like

Maybe you are one of those guys whose negative thinking patterns attract negative results, while i am a totally positive thinker and only good things happen when i do something. :laughing: :crazy_face:
Seriously, you are right, i totally forgot about it since i am using Blender mainly as a modelling tool, which means i am in edit mode 95% of the time and my scenes aren’t that dense so i don’t need that precision in object mode.

Yeah, maybe it’s a hack, but the essential functionality is not annoying only if you connect it to the wacky behaviour in other places. Like i said, it allows me to be sloppy when selecting.
When i work a day in Maya it feels more heavy on my wrist and i am using shortcuts and marking menu all the time.

Me neither, i feel you. Its great when it works, but its frustrating when it doesn’t. I agree.
I personally get effed by Blender all the time because i press 1, 2 or 3 when in object mode, while thinking i am in edit mode, which hides some collections and then the gizmos vanish or I can’t select stuff.
Super annoying.

Selection definitely can be better.

Thanks for mentioning that, i totally forgot about this feature.

1 Like

There are so many features, it’s easy to forget some of the features.

1 Like

I am wondering if it’s related to the view clip start. That was the cause of some other problems.

I have been experiencing not being able to zoom in on vertices. Then, I select a vertex and “.” on the numpad and it zooms right in. I just noticed that yesterday. Never had a problem with it before.

On using 1,2,3 to change modes. I typed 1 yesterday at one point and something unexpected happened and I got an error message, which I couldn’t read fast enough.

I am trying out v. 2.83 and 2.9, so things could be different there. Also, I enabled some new add-ons.

Yes, I am using Mark Sharp on the base of my handle. I want that to stay sharp. I may not need this there, but I’ve been having problems getting edges to line up and not be shaded smooth, the handle to the body, the front piece from the main body. It will look fine in the viewer window, but in Cycles, it’s rounded. I’ll check that. I know I have crease marked sharp, but I may be ready to apply the Subdivison modifier at this point. I am trying to boolean the logo into the top of it, and that’s not going well.

You can see the face divisions here.

1 Like

As long as not all edges is marked sharp it should not be a problem. does it look like that even if you delete the custom normal data? Try to add the weighted normal modifier and see if that helps.

Yep. Tracking with you. Especially on the ergonomic side. Blender is hands down the best. No pun intended.

Correct. That is a new wrinkle. I did not read everything. So I am not sure if there is a setting or not.

I saw this feature in a tutorial, but couldn’t get it to work. After a LOT of searching it seemed that Edit/_Lock Object Modes needed to be disabled.

But now I can’t get it working again. --It’s simply ALT+LMB, right??? In Object mode?

yes. ALT+LMB when you have multiple objects under the mouse.

1 Like

oh… that fall off you mean. Didn’t you say Drag Net?

Proportionate Edit actually is pretty much exactly the same thing as Point Radial. And the fall off is adjusted pretty much exactly the same and also it has fall off choices which are very similar. Although there are more in Blender. :wink:

I think what you are looking for is Magnet (Radial Fixed) and all of the fall offs similar to that.

I think the closest we have are the Mira Tools. I am not sure if there is a Magnet. But there are some other similar fall offs.

The blender is looking real nice!

It is real hard for me to unpack what you are referring to without more screen caps, wires,a and showing your Modifiers.

It’s been awhile since I’ve used it, but yes, I think Drag Net is what I’m talking about. It’s similar to Magnet.
What I think I could do with either of them is shape it to encompass a tall object for instance. It wasn’t limited to a perfect sphere. Also, I didn’t have to be pulling on a certain thing. If it fell under my spheroid shape, it was influenced. I could pull and shape things, almost like sculpt.

Yeah. But Drag Net is a different thing entirely than Magnet. It works like proportionate edit. Which is why I mentioned it.

Actually all of those tools in Modeler are joined by the same fall offs. Point Radial is a specific kind of fall off that is similar to proportionate edit.

Some of the other fall offs are different and can be set to “fixed” where you get that 3D adjustable thingy.

One confusing difference might be LightWave Modeler everything is selected if nothing is. So this is how you get the “don’t have to be pulling on a certain thing” aspect of it. Because you are pulling on the entire mesh based on the fall off.

This is generally considered “soft selection” in all other apps (including Blender) and is dependent on a selection. Modo might be the same as LW though.

Thanks about the mixer!
Never mind about the shading problem. I had been trying out putting a bevel on a boolean cut on that handle, so I had a Bevel modifier on it. I removed it and the problem went away.

The problem I was talking about with getting things to match up, maybe you can see here. I want to handle to match the body where it connects, and the front piece to where it connects to the body.

Here’s a close up on the real thing

This was taken from lightwave.
Curve guide in miratools

>>Thank you<< for clarifying that. :+1:

And now:wink::face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: – FFS, you have to have multiple things lined up under the mouse? Otherwise NOTHING at all appears?* No wonder I was confused.

Seems like ALT+LMB= list of objects would be pretty handy MOST of the time, not just in depth-confusion situations.

• Some “training wheels” would have been appreciated: like, if there’s only one object, only one object is listed – which would be consistent, therefore the LAST thing I expect from Blender coders. Or if you alt-click in empty space, the dialog appears but with “(no objects)” in italics. I get the function, but the implementation is bone-headed and inconsistent as usual. --No doubt someone will say “Noooo, it’s perrrrrrfect the way it is! Like ALL Blender things!!!”, but they can bite me.

Blender is esoteric and occult in the truest sense of these words.
If you are not properly initiated you might go insane using it.

Translation: Hard to use, impossible to learn.

It’s the software equivalent of the bandoneon.
++++++++++++++

My RCS submission on this:

+Improvements to ALT+LMB depth sorting feature// training wheels - UI consistency+

If you have multiple objects overlapping at a screen position, ALT+LMB in Object Mode calls up a dialog allowing you to choose which object you are trying to select. Great! Good feature.

However, like MANY Blender features, the UI is inconsistent in that ALT+LMB otherwise does NOTHING AT ALL. Essentially it hides its functionality. This does not assist in the learning of Blender, as the user is left with “why is this not working”?

I propose an addition to the ALT+LMB behavior: When ALT+LMB clicking on ONE object, it will simply list that object. IOW, it’s doing what it’s supposed to be doing, but there’s only one object. Really nothing is changed from the user viewpoint.

However, if the user ALT+LBM clicks on an empty area, the same dialog appears but with (no objects) , in italics, in the list area. This cues the user that “yes, indeed I am functioning, but there’s nothing to select.”

The ui becomes more consistent, rather than foolishly clever, and assists the user in learning all its features.

My solution whenever I want something to line up like that, is I start them from the same part.

Here is just a quick nonsense part.

In the middle it is the same geometry. And I am just going two different ways with it.