disney and just regular face topology

but, how does one turn a person into a disney character? I know the difference in how the topolog yis but. do I use a magna or disney chracter topology design to put a regular face topology to it?

I see these two photoshop tutorials on untooning and turning a photo into a cartoon but… that’s not really disney. so should I start looking into magna potrait and character design?

any info or ideas would be appreciated. i dont know how to draw but I figured maybe looking into illustrator or character design and magna or disney like face templeates or something to prractice with.

I thought about this becuase i read something last night about Disney getting a new princess.
link below and I also included here pic and now her dinsey picture.

a disney topology tutorial

my last question that deals with this topic is, I know there are different styles according to this video (link below of a guy drawing himself in 5 different animation ways.

but I take it, for a animation film like pixar, they would only work with magna and or disney toplogy correct? cartoon like photos turned into cartoons doesnt look right right to me.

Attachments

I was looking up illustartor and I guess Disney has a certain face and heigh on the characteres the choose to be drawn. anyway. I was wondering if I should study the faces? but if i already know how the topology reference looks like should I still do this?
drawing heads like Tinker Bell and belle
http://www.easydrawingtutorials.com/index.php/88-disney/102-draw-tinkerbell?start=1

alison in wonderland same actress who played Windy in peterpan.

but, how does one turn a person into a disney character?

Animation of the past are hand drawn characters, 24 drawings per second! Try making 24 different drawings that looks consistent throughout. It’s not easy. One of the reasons you get this disney look is how character features were broken down into basic forms and proportion. So that each frame looks consistent:

You can tell that each head expression was started from circle of same size. Other features get derived in proportion from it. That is how you stay consistent:

http://www.larabank.com/flash/classwork/show/136b.jpg

i have really been trying to figre out the difference in the topology and drawing. I mean they have the same principles for disney bigger eyes, smaller nose and mouth more round face. what I dont understand is how the topology or drawing mimics what that individula looks like. I mean its the same topology.

example below same disney topology but doesnt mean the character will look like picture 2

Attachments

don’t think it will
in 2 D each view may use some tricks to render it

with 3D model it is done by the renderer and light set up!
don’t need to fake shadows or light effects

if the model is 3D and it is more real then a 2D model in any case
you rig it and animate

happy bl

According to these images I have found of peoples topology

right now I am looking into cartton drawing, photo manipulation along with illustrator. even face caricature to learn how to changte or manipulate faces.

but first. i would like to learn (pic 3) see how the topology of Angelina Jolie looks like her face with out textures?

photos 1 and 2 are wirferame from illustrator.

3D has topology 2D does not have topo!

happy cl

the base of the head topology is the same regardless of realism or cartoony, you have face loops around the eyes, around the mouth and from the nose to the jaw, what differ are the forms/shapes (big/small eyes, big/small head, big/small cheeks/ big/small mouth, etc…) and that is only practice and manually trying to do them that will make you learn.

Do you have a picture about your own attempt at modelling/sculpting the kind of character you want ?
Would be much easier to help you on what’s apparently stopping you than seeing those pictures of various characters.

The Angelina Jolie mesh (not the topology, the mesh… you are confusing the two terms) looks like Angelina Jolie, even without texturing, because Angelina has a face of which some features (lips, nose, jaw line, cheekbones) are practically a caricature of themselves, and caricatures are recognizable. In contrast, President Obama’s mesh seems to need a lot more detail to not look like random big-eared dude.

example below same disney topology but doesnt mean the character will look like picture 2

Topology is topology, one can fit topology to any shape any way it fits. Here is my quick topology based on your example:

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m626/cabby24/Blender%20Pics%202015/face%20mesh_zpsie2pmiwr.png

thank you so much for your time in showing me this. so pretty much you took the toon topology and just stretched it or laid it out on the reference feautres?

2D references don’t have topo only general shape !
like front side top view or iso views

you decide what topo is needed to get the 3D model!
depends if you want to do general shape then do some sculpting then retopo it !

happy bl

Do you mean like more dense mesh is more detail so that face topology would look like that person compared to regular topology for face animation and a 2d picture?

I mean details can be added with a lot more loops on the base mesh
or make a less dense base mesh then do some sculpting and reropo it.

depends on the workflow you use !

happy bl

Animation is what makes the disney cartoon character. Why do I even talk about animation when it’s about topology? It’s the squash and stretch.

The face becomesliquid. It’s about what looks good at 24 frames a second.

I am talking about topology not animation. but why is it, that some face topology doesn’t look like the character? is that basically low poly or for animation reasons?

or is that not correct topology really , becuase it’s not who the person looks like? look at this anjelina face topology. looks exactly like her with out a tetxure or picture to see what it is. but a animation/disney topology of a face looks the same like the topology in picture 2 of every character I look up. Frozen, Tangeled, ariel from under the sea and so on.

I do plan to start practicing facelops on a image in photoshop. to figure this out.

Attachments

I was wondering. did you already have a mesh done and you fit it over the features or… did you just model that in front view? today I plan on learning how to overy lay my topology lines on a reference . maybe this will help me a lot.

I understand that but, is there basically different ways to model/ by this I mean actually map out there facial features or… do the regual face topology and add a texture to show what person you want it to look like?

I do plan to start practicing facelops on a image in photoshop. to figure this out.

you don’t do topo in GIMP
it has to be done in 3D in blender
you add loops to get the basic shape of the model/ head or other following the references pictures in 2D.

topology is the how the verts are added in 3D to get a nice 3D shape.
and usually done to do rigging and animation.

happy bl

I meant to plan out my topology. not practice