Dispersion Caustics in Yafaray

What’s up! I tried out Yafaray again recently because I love using its caustic photons. I prefer photon mappers to bidirectional engines in most cases because of the nature of photon mapping. If you use fewer photons, it doesn’t get noisier, just blurrier. This makes it really easy to render out quick previews and still see all the important details! Most of my previews took about 1-5min. @ 960x540 – that’s on my lethargic laptop…

For this test, I tried out the dispersion feature of YR’s glass material. It was too easy! Just set the value to .03 or whatever.

Thumbnail

In conclusion, just don’t waste time trying to make caustics in Cycles.
This render can easily be composited onto the Cycles render without caustics.
Just go ShftAdd,Color,Mix and set it to “add.”

Also a big thanks to 3d.Shubol. sk for making this video that shows the power of YR + Cycles.
That video is pretty much the reason I started using Yafaray.

God bless and have a great day!

10 Likes

I wish Cycles was bidirectional or had photon mapping. The composition trick is a workaround, as of caustics cause other objects to be lighted up, and with composition we do not get this.

At the same time we have strong Eevee development which is driving me angry. :frowning:

I’m not sure what you mean by that. In the video that I linked you can see an example with other objects in the scene. The caustics seem to interact just fine.

Bit late to the party, but that’s an incredible render!

1 Like

Yooo thanks! I remember seeing your featured work on this forum!

1 Like

Hey! this looks amazing. Do you have a link for a tutorial to create something like it? The video linked no longer worked