Displace modifier using vertex color

Is there any way to use vertex color as displacement map?
I have some ideas that needs the displacement modifier used with vertex color.
Vertex color and RGB to XYZ mode…
In 2.79 there is a point density mode in texture map which has a vertex color but that doesn’t work with displace modifier.

I too came here looking for this.
I have found the displacement modifiers in Blender do not have a way to actually displace vertices. I kind of need it because I am actually displacing vertices in Unity, and I was hoping to mimic the shader I made in Unity in Blender so I can create easier in Blender.

And I am actually using vertex colors to do the displacing. So I am hoping there is a way to do the same in Blender.

I can think of a hack way to do it, which is bake the vertex colors to a UV map, and then using the UV map with the displacement modifier. I’d much prefer a shader node, however.

EDIT: hack way does not work, as UV texture is not one of the options for texture in the displacement modifier.

You can do that with geometry node now.

2 Likes

for clarification, to future readers, gritche means geometry nodes, which is a fairly new Blender feature, and not the geometry node in the shader editor.

Geometry Nodes have to be turned on in preferences, but I think they may be the answer to my question. Will report back.

Thanks, Good News…

Thanks a lot. Please tell us if it is possible with Geo nodes so i can mark @gritche answer as solution.