Display modifier as visual representation?

Hello,
Is there a way in Blender to display a visual representation of a modifier, like in C4D? In this screengrab, we can clearly see how the Bend will work, by that light-purple bent box:
…and here’s one of C4D’s Fields, showing where an effect will be applied:

Is there an equivalent in Blender? I’m just trying to add a bend to a pipe, but am getting weird results.

I’ve added an Empty and told the modifier to use that as an origin, but the results are very unpredictable. If I could see exactly what the Bend modifier was trying to do, I could track down the issues easily. The C4D fields and modifiers also allow me to edit the falloff of the effect - is there a way to do this in Blender?

Thanks in advance for any help!
~ Paul

Hi, those visual helpers are called cages, and they’re enabled or disabled with those four dots icon next to modifier name, but unforunately as far as I know they’re only drawn for Subdivision Surface modifier. It would be very helpful for lot more of them, but I don’t think it’s possible with regular modifiers

1 Like

Well… the bend modifier… i think this is the most hated thing in blender… or it’s just me…

…there are some “advanced” bend (and more) addons… and of course i cannot find them in my links now because i dont use them :sweat_smile:

1 Like

As Okidoki said bend modifier is old and not very good, you can use Geonodes for better and simpler reesults.

Higgsas has made best ones out there. You can download the file, append node groups in your file (or save them as assets) and add them as geometry nodes modifiers. They’re called Stretch / Taper / Twist & Bend.

Visual guides can be done by Geonodes too, but this one doesn’t have them. I might look into adding them when I have time

1 Like

Thanks both of you for the quick replies! I think I’ll give up on the modifier route and extrude (sorry - “bevel”!!!) a circle along a spline instead. (Why does Blender think this has anything to do with “bevel”? An error in translation maybe?!)

Maybe i found it… (IDK)…

There is a link to something newer but in asian letters…

And of course ther is

[[ Does anybody know how to tell belnder market to search only in addons ?? Every time i switch i also get everthing else… ]]

1 Like