Distribute objects by image/texture's saturation/color scheme?

Hi!

Here’s something I’m not sure if is even possible. But some of you are streets ahead in many areas, so you might prove me wrong.

I’m facing vegetation distribution dilemma. Normally, I’d do object distribution either manually or via geometry node that takes into consideration object’s mesh and values such as face area or even vertex colors.

But now, I’d love to explore an option allowing me to take screenshot of a texture and set up a logic for distribution based on raster values. For example, area in the image below has relatively contrasty spots where vegetation is very visible due to very bright sandy ground. In certain places even much more than others. This could allow some interesting and intelligent way to distribute objects, in my opinion.

However, this is way above my paygrade, so help with this would be appreciated. :slight_smile:

e

You will need a very high res mesh but you can use a setup like this…

Hope that helps.

Or this…which will give you density control…

Hope that helps.

Forgot to say thank you the last time. So thank you.

Just revisiting this idea. Looking into deforming terrain based on changes in shader editor.

Like creating splat maps, but with immediate effect on physical mesh, live, with automatic splat texture baking, if you will. This is all very new for me, so I apologize if talking all over the place.

In essence, since people are able to create sometimes pretty convincing procedural textures, I’d be interested in doing the same for terrain based textures. In similar fashion programs like World creator do.

What’s your thoughs on this?