DNorman's Sketchbook and things

Thumbnail

Well I have decided to make a sketchbook and post some of the things that I do not usually post.

Here are a few sculpting doodles I have done over time.

My methodology is totally wrong, but I enjoy it.

I know little of anatomy and do not use references.

I open Blender go to sculpt mode and re-mesh the default cube, then I turn it into a sphere with the mesh filter. All my characters are called “cube”!

I generally use the elastic deform (my favorite brush) and pull things around till I get something I start to like, then go on to inflate brush, crease, smooth, scrape etc.

5 Likes

This guy has no forehead but I am quite fond of him!
Cube1

6 Likes

Cube2

cube3

cube4

That’s all for my first sketchbook post! :laughing:

6 Likes

Positing here to not go off topic in the other thread.

You knew I would not overlook that, could be:

But I think a simple emission shader with some bloom is more correct.

Oh and some background music:

2 Likes

while the 2nd might be more technically accurate (i’ll have to snap some close up photos of the neon at the theatre next show … we have old school neon on the marquee), i still like the look of the first better. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yea me too its like more fairy tail “sparkly”.

Less samples + sparkles

3 Likes

I have been playing with refractive cars.

8 Likes

Nice! I used something that’s probably similar to this, for the headlight glass parts on mine. Not finished yet, but works well.

1 Like

Well as I am not working the 3060 should.

Some more caustic and dispertion experiments.

Blender Cycles, 32 bounces for all, no clamping, no filter glossy, reflective and refractive causics on, plus the shadows caustics settings.

Loads of samples (20,000) I could have gone with less, the reality is that quality is sort of reverse logarithmic vrs sample count.

The Glass shader is a custom dispersion shader based on white noise. I would like to get rid of the black on the rim and bottom thickness, I will have to investigate that.

Oh …………… and I cheated, I put a point lamp inside the glass as well.

There is one with liquid on the way tomorrow (I will leave rendering while sleeping).

Ok I woke up :smiley:

Not sure, I think I prefer the empty one.

3 Likes

I have been having fun painting in texture paint mode, and making some grungy brushes.

7 Likes