Do people write scripts/create add-ons in the script code editor within Blender?

I am not sure why by default syntax highlightening and line numbers are disabled, but anyway, the script editor seems too basic by today’s standard. It does not have advanced features of a dedicated IDE, and it is not even as good as an advanced text editor like VS Code. Also, when an error occurs, it is difficult to see the problem, because all Blender says is see the System console. I open and see the console, but of course, it is not as good as the error/warning panel of an IDE.

But there are lots of scripts and add-ons for Blender. Are people mostly just use Blender’s code editor? Or do they write code in a dedicated IDE and then copy&paste it into Blender’s code editor to run it? Or is there a better way?

Check out the VS Studio Code plugin for Blender, this allows you to develop in VS code and then load the plugin into Blender with one click.

I use it a lot. I like to lightning-prototype ideas and test stuff quickly without too much setup. I’ve even made a few add-ons to support this workflow.

When the projects get ‘real’ though, yeah, I use VSCode with Jacques’ plugin.

I really miss vim when in blender text editor, but there’s just something about it… Not leaving the program… or the very fact that it’s a bit ancient and clunky… I kinda enjoy that.

1 Like