do you need to draw to be a good 3d artist

hey all i was just wondering what all your opinions are on weather you need to be a good 2d artist to become a good 3d artist. i for one cant draw for shit but trying to say this without being big headed i consider myself a good 3d artist

Fudge

It’s not necessary, but it certainly helps.

I used to be able to draw fairly well. Still can on some things. Just need practice again I think.

I agree that it would definitley help you for sure. It certainly isn’t going to hurt.

BgDM

Draw somthing post it :smiley:

what shall i draw? (my creative side does not have the better of me)

You sure would need to be decent if you want to have like textures you can’t do with procedurals.

Draw a full bodied version of this guy because I am to lazy to. It took me forever just to get this far
http://gallery.mudpuddle.co.nz/albums/tginn/UswaldPortrait2.jpg
Judging from the number of coments I got on it, it must suck pretty bad :frowning:
Anyways, I wasn’t joking about the guy. You should draw the full version of him, or blend it or somthing.

Drawing skills help a lot, but are certainly not necessary.

I was very bad at drawing, so I decided to learn as best I could. I learnt almost all I know so far from this site www.polykarbon.com, which is mainly anime style. I have absolutely no knowledge of anime cartoons, but this was still a great way to learn about drawing in general for me. Its got lots of great step by step tutorials, and also shows you how to do digital colouring if you don’t know already, which is great fun and very handy.

It takes a lot of practice to learn drawing skills, especially if you have no natural skill (like me), but its definatly like 3D modelling, the more you practice, the better you get.

EDIT>>
That site also shows how to make backgrounds for your image, and also explains a little about integrating 3D images into photoshop/gimp/PSP images.

Book Marked :smiley:

I don’t think that good drawing skills are needed to be good at 3d art, it helps but not needed. On the other hand though I find photography skills to be a necesity. If you understand studio lighting (from photo or film setups), composition, and color theory stuff you can do quite well :smiley:

I don’t think you’re getting the comments because you drew it bad. The guy is just fugly.

quote number one: fudge said

i for one cant draw for shit but trying to say this without being big headed i consider myself a good 3d artist

quote number two: fudge said

what shall i draw? (my creative side does not have the better of me)

learning to draw will only improve your skills. if you ever plan to do 3d seriously, it will be assumed by others that you can also draw by hand.
and why you consider yourself to be a good 3d artist confuses me if you admit that “your creative side does not have the better of you”.

ok thanks guys i would like to try to get good at 2d art but since i have no artistcal tallent it is really hard especially since i have bollocks hand eye co-ordination i cant even draw circle decently is there a special way doing them or somthing?

I voted yes, but only because it helps. Tremendously. I couldn’t draw at all, but then I started putting down some sketches and ideas and so forth… I’m proud to say I can now draw a perfect cube, among other things. The bottom line is, you can’t be a good artist if you don’t have any creative sides. A mediocre one, yes, but not good. It’s difficult to, at the same time, concentrate on your god sides and improve your bad sides.

it’s not the ability to draw well but rather the ability to think of somthing plane it in the head and execute it (the latter is my problem :smiley: though I know to draw pretty well).

yes i know i need my creative side but im always blending and never have time to read a book i know it would be better if i just put down blender for a week or so and read a book, watch a film but i cant today iv been taking some very basic tutorial on drawing perfect circles and iv been drawing for about an hour now and they are starting to look like circles :stuck_out_tongue: later im going to start a very basic today object and i will show it here (not decided what though)

Fudge

a shoe :slight_smile:

the right eye is not in perspective that is all really.

the quality of shading is great, the perspective is all whacked.

if an artist were to intentionally make those mistakes, then it could be increadibly expensive work. make 10 or more images of that quality with the same flatness and it would get respect.

Alltaken

Maybe I could make about 10 more images of better quality, and get even more respect? Lol, thanks for the comment, even if it is in someone elses thread. The perspective shouldnt be to hard to fix really. This is only the second painting that I have put more than 10 minutes into, so fudge, it just goes to show you practice is everyting.

You don’t have to be an artist, but it sure helps. I can’t even draw a stick figure, and in some aspects I think it has hurt me.

It’s taken a long time to realize the little things that make a model good, and how to make them.

Fortunately, since I do mostly production I have a much stronger sense of what to do with lighting and cameras.