Do you use Blender for modeling architectural or mechanical elements?

Without the help of addons, it would be very difficult for me to model accurately using Blender.
It seems that Blender is more focused on animation and game design.
This is not a bad thing, but if we want Blender to become more popular, it would be good if it were taught in architecture schools, mechanical engineering, or another area that needs to represent accurate models.

So, do you use only Blender or do you have any other program to help you model accurately?

I agree it needs some polish when it comes to architectural and mechanical drawing…

I DID use it to some degree back in 2007 when I worked for a company that made…erm…boxes…but we used blender for designing the foam inserts…it fit the needs fine, the main issues we had were with scale and some better snapping would have been apreciated…

ofc, I was never the primary in this area and only helped occasionally introduced blender to my boss who was also our designer…

No, not precise enough and uncomfortable while working with units. (Mechanical Engineering)

Mechanical-Blender was a fork with some good ideas!

I use blender mainly for Arch viz And fits my workflow perfectly. I usually have 2d drawings which I import to blender. Then I either use the imported lines directly and extrude them or I snap newly created geometry to them.
I don’t use many add-ons. Sometimes I use Loop tools and import images as plane.
I like the way of direct input for transformations which is much quicker than in 3ds Max. Also bmesh is more flexible.

Archviz here as well. I receive files from clients in formats that are commonly used by architects (also Sketchup as of late), mainly dwg, dxf and ifc. Fortunately, Blender’s import functions work fairly well (except for dwg). As someone says above, Blender is fine for rendering and texturing and such, bot not made for CAD/CAM work. Looking forward to Eevee for making flythroughs, btw!

To be honest, it’s also easier to create something in SketchUp with addons. Basic tools are just not enough. So, addons are cool :upside_down_face:

As far as i see Blender is good for architectural design, visualisations and you can model precisely. Problem is you can’t export/handle technical drawings or 2D lines as you do in CAD programs.

Besides, take a look these addons: Archimesh and Archipack.

A good video demonstrating the features of Archimesh:

Could you elaborate more on why you can’t model accurately? What is the problem you are facing?

I use Solidworks for the mechanical design, using a mockup of customer room (or just a wall). If we need renders, I’ll export as stl, do a quick and dirty separation and cleanup, and model the rest of the room in blender where the same level of accuracy isn’t required.

Although it doesn’t apply to my stuff, Blender doesn’t have tools for proper curvature analysis which appear to be crucial for some customer oriented designs. Snapping to me is a mess, and don’t have cad like entities (like tangent snapping/mating to a circle, curvature continuous fillets). Catmull clark is probably enough for rough visualisations, but it’s not something to use for curve design.

Here, any kind of viz with occasional on site fine art, detailing works and consulting.
Always depends on the intent.
I find addons too restrained to certain workflow. Rarely use any.

Planning for manual labor…
Staying in precision realm from 0.0001 to 999 units, Blender is more than enough.

On the other hand, industrial design, machines need different approach, use different methods, techniques, strategy, why CAD (double FP), CAM & NURBS are another chapter. Yet, even then one can exceed the limits of software/hardware.

Main skill is knowledge, experience, understanding, staying in boundaries of known limits/rules, having good organization, clear communication and self discipline.

Colleagues, clients… use anything from Revit, Archicad, Solidworks, Rhino, aCAD, Inventor, Siemens PLM, Fusion, Onshape… specialized tools for specific tasks. Usually for my work all i need are .jpgs, .pdfs, mood boards. Often times, especially when meeting in person, simple references, couple of words and hand drawn sketches suffice. While lots of times (mostly for animations & product viz) i get 3D files.

Good artist makes for good medium.

PS
It’s also a must to understand, to comply with the part of the project development process one is mostly involved with.

I have problems for example in getting a bisect. Get a perpendicular point. Do something like the origami of this video without the help of addons:

I agree with you, even though i’m fairly new Blender user i noticed it lacks that kind of simple features to edit meshes (as i indicated earlier that handling 2D lines are problematic). However my whole point was to encourage using addons. It’s not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, thank you for introducing me to your great addon indirectly: CAD Snap Utilities.
And of course it would be great if Blender officially supports such addon similar to yours, because it’s beneficial to all kinds of users and not architects only.

The Line operator of this addon (the most important in my opinion) is available in the official versions of blender. The name is “mesh_snap_utilities_line”.

1 Like