Does the Scale seem right here?

I tried to model to real world scale but something seems a bit off. Lmk what you think.
Thx!

The modeling seems fine, but you might need some sturdier door frame.
I think the main issue is lighting and camera. Make sure you have probable camera settings and try using an hdri or similar lighting. Right now the scene looks a bit miniature to me.

I think it’s a sum of little things that make the render look a bit off.

The bricks may be a bit too small, check this in blender with the measure tool, here you have a list of real world bricks sizes: http://www.beldenbrick.com/brick-dimensions-guide.asp

The repetitive pattern in the lower part of the wall is also a bit too small. It looks like there’s is a vertical line every 20cm or so, these lines are made by the concrete molding, and those usually measure 60cm or so.

Then the image looks very realistic (congrats) but the door hole has a too perfect and sharp edge, I would give it a bevel and may be model/sculpt some damage on it.

You could also push the realism further with some moisture stains, some on the base of the wall like these or these. And dripping stains like these or these.

On the left edge of the door you’ve got some very small fractions of bricks that would never look like that in reality.

Thanks for replies… here’s the updated image… still working on sizes etc as seems a bit off still. Used HDRI for this but may not as this scene is for a film so trying to reduce render times as much as possible.
Lmk any more thoughts!

your door is missing a handle and a lamp above would be a nice touch. I also feel like the bricks could be a bit larger.

a brick measures like this (the one used for external purpose) 10x15x20/25 cm; so u got 24 of them + cement mortar so it ends like this:
(0.1 +0.01) x 24 = 2.64 meters + some concrete on the base ur door should be around 3 meter doors

u can or lower the door’s height or increase the size of bricks and u wil lbe fine

(i’ve kind of worked in this field o i have some knowledge)

1 Like

I quite honestly think that you need to provide something else in this setup, before “either your eyes or mine” will be able to really decide whether the scale “feels right” or not. To my eye’s judgment, I honestly can’t tell. There aren’t enough cues. So – how about a drainpipe? A piece of guttering, an electrical box? How about a very nice window, surrounded by some very nice brick-work? Virtually anything, really, not only to provide a sense of scale but also to inject some more visual interest into the shot.

i forgot to add on my previous commet this: usually if u open a hole in a brick wall, like a door in this case, upon the door u don’t have a brick buit a small concrete beam, bcoz (construction stuffs) brick doesn’t provide enough strength to support the rest of teh wall brick upon them, unless those bricks are purely decorative; but judging from the colour those bricks aren’t decorative

The brick layers would normally have put the long brick end at the edge of the door frame. That would have minimized the amount of brick cutting needed.