Dog Model Leg Issues

I am working on this model for a video I want to make. I’ve been working on it for quite some time, and I thought I was about ready to move on to the next step, when I realized that the rear leg wasn’t going to work right when I made the rig.

I am not really sure how to describe it, but I believe I need to make the part of the rear leg near the tail to move over the abdomen part I guess, and I have no idea how to do it. I’ve tried a couple different things, but none of it really seems to work right. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. (I would have uploaded the model with this post but I have three pictures already and I don’t know how to remove them)

Attachments

Sounds like a thread about Golfing, hehe…
The dog looks like an Akita! :slight_smile:
You could just add another loopcut around the crotch area (marked it red) and pull out the verts that make up the volume of the upper leg (marked it blue). that way the leg should look less flat. anatomically, the leg itself does not overlap the abdomen unless the dog is sitting or laying (check my dachshund). When a dog stands or walks, only the muscles would bump out.
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/68706
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/68708

Can you post again with the blend, maybe in a paste-all? That would really help.

Seems like your topology is messed up. I’d say it would be best to start over and retopologize your model.

I’ve made a husky before and I think you should try and aim for the topology I have.

It’s not perfect but it’s good for a start.

If you want more detail on how to do it then you can watch the timelapse.

I actually downloaded that exact model from blend swap to see how it would work with the rig. I agree that the topology is all messed up but I do plan to sculpt and retopologize after this. I think I have an idea of what to do now. I uploaded the file with this post as well, but it wouldn’t take the blend file so I compressed it to a zip.
Dog Model 3 ITS THIS ONE 2.blend.zip (1.93 MB)