Doris sketchbook

thank you iceking… yes motherday was just yesterday, here :slight_smile:
harley, thank you,yes good to hear, i was thinking “less is more”, giving focus…good to hear you think so too…
thank you michalis… yes, maybe baby is real too tender, will think to look after fatty shoulders next time. thanks for pointing out.

Wonderful work, Doris!!

Do you intend texturing it?? :yes:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]377151[/ATTACH]

Congratulations!

thank you, wanilson… no, it was only a sketch to have fun, and explore an idea.

a new sculpt, i have the work-in-progess pics shared in the dynatopo thread. the sculpture is pure dynatopo, 2.5 mill tris. as there are several parts, it still was quite smooth sculpting… since i got the idea, to turn this sculpt into a woodcarving, i went over it once more to sculpt the edges and transitions more like they would appear in a real carving… the wood is white maple, the texture used for it, is from the free texture pack pixar recently shared to the public… i hope you like my experiment.

The hair on the character’s left side seems to come up a little high to me, but otherwise, fantastic detail! Love it with the wood textures.

thank you gradyp, as to the hair, do you still think so when looking these views?

that’s epic, doris.

Epic and beautiful! Great sculpt Doris :slight_smile:

thank you julperado. and thank you iceking, for your encouragement in dynatopo thread to try again full figure. from the last i was disappointed because blenders slow performance, but with your teaching i saw how to better manage the meshes so that performance was really good the whole time. thanks again :slight_smile:

i hope one day we don’t have to go through all the technicalities of resolution management. but for now, a good workflow can make up for it. :), again nice work.

also loving the textures, i was about to suggest this at earlier posts because i seem to remember your real life medium is wood.

Not sure what it is Doris… I looked up some reference, but that’s a hard style to find reference on. Not many go with that style, which could be a part of what made it seem off to me. I guess, looking at the references I did find, that it’s not so much the height of it that threw me as perhaps the harshness of the part coming so close to the scalp. Still, I think it looks great!

ah, now i see what you mean! good eye, gradyp. yes the hair comes off the scalp in an unnatural way, lesson learnt! thanks a lot for taking the time to help.

Just glad that I could help, even with my limited sculpting ability :smiley: You’ve had a lot more practice at it than I have… (Which reminds me… I’ve got about 3 or 4 unfinished sculpts around here that I intended to work on…)

Amazing work, so kind and inspiring!

thanks cgstrive :slight_smile:

a weekend fun project, a caterpillar having some good time …

Doris, I keep telling myself that someday I’ll get to that point, that place where I might illustrate as well as you do with sculpt - and then you keep raising that bar!! I absolutely love the caterpillar scene, everything about it!!

ah, craig, but when i try to paint i run miles behind you :wink: thanks for the nice words :slight_smile:

this was a challenging, but truely fun, project. most of the meshes are still dynatopo, the scene without the ship weighs in more than 10 mill polygons, some of the meshes are 1 mill dynatopo sculpts… this was only possible, since i learned from iceking how to manage polycount on dynatopsculpting (again, big thanks my friend!)…

Fantastic, Doris! Love it!

Wow!!! Wonderful as always

thank you gradyp, and thank you bonrw too. glad you enjoy. i am glad i could pull off such a huge polycount project completely in blender, that is, the posing i did in zbrush, but all sculpting was done in blender…