Downloading proper version of Python

Hi guys,
I have recently installed Blender 2.49, and at the end of the installation, it said that I needed to download Python 2.6. I did a search on google for Python 2.6, to only find out that there are multiple versions of Python 2.6. However, the website said that it was recommended to download 2.6.2 final realease. So just as a double precuasion, I fished through the BlenderArtist Python threads, and I found this one piticular thread…
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=164983

Now, I am not too sure if this applies to me or not, but I was really confused to what anon125 was trying to ask. From what I understand, it seems to me he was mentioning there is a problem with the Python 2.6.2 final realse version and its help files. So could someone please clarify this situation, and tell me which 2.6 version of Python I should be downloading?

I have no problems with 2.6.2 whatsoever. The warning seems to refer to compatibility issues between candidate and final releases. YMMV, but 2.6.2 seems perfectly straightforward to install and use.

You’re asking what version to download. If you run just Blender 2.49a, just get Python 2.6.2. If you want to run Blender 2.50 builds, download 3.1.1. If you run both, hey, download both versions. Yes, you can. They coexist peacefully, as far as I can tell, in both Windows and Linux.

Download

• 32bit- or- 64bit- and- Updated Windows help file
    Note AMD64 does NOT mean its for AMD only.

• Uninstall any previous installed python installations.

• Install the downloaded python.

• In the directory where you installed python is a folder named Doc. Copy the python262.chm into this folder.

Do NOT install python 3.1.1 if you want to test Blender2.5. It has python3.1 bundled with it already. This is, among other things, to stop people to download wrong python versions by following other peoples wrong advises .:wink:

You don’t have to download python to use Blender. Blender comes packaged with most of the python code you’ll need.

Do NOT install python 3.1.1 if you want to test Blender2.5.

Dude. Each version of blender comes with its own bundled interpreter, but it doesn’t provide the full functionality of an actual python install.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual/Introduction/Installing_Blender/Python

Yes, it’s “optional” - as long as a particular script you need requires some python library that comes with full distribution.