Drag & Drop to Install addon

I made this little add-on that adds drag-and-drop functionality to install add-ons. It only works in Blender 4.1. The add-on need to be in a .zip file, just like regular add-ons.

Drag and drop to install addon

drag_&_drop_install_addons 1.0.3.zip (885 Bytes)

12 Likes

This is just so logical it should be default behaviour. Does it only work in the 3d viewport or can you drop over any editor?

3 Likes

Yeah! It would be great if it was default! I have been thinking about sending this to the developers of Blender! :grin:

It only works in the 3d viewport.

3 Likes

Made an quick update, now it should work in all editors :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Haha i tried drag & dropping this add-on forgetting I haven’t installed it yet.

Nice idea btw

4 Likes

Hey, looks great, how does it works with addon properties and different versions of an addon you already have installed?

could an brief operator panel be helpfull?

1 Like

I use the portable PC version of blender, so I manually unzip all of my addons into a specific location, but this addon looks super handy for regular blender users. Thanks for taking the the initiative!

1 Like

@Albertofx @NUNO_SOUSA @ZeroDean

Haha, thanks :slight_smile:

It works exactly the same way as installing an addon normaly, since it uses the same operation. So if you drop an addon that is of an high version it should replace the current one.

Thanks, appreciate it :slight_smile: :grin:

Maybe you should try making it a PR and see if they approve it…

1 Like

I haven’t written a line of C++ code in my life, so it will probably not happen. Even if I did submit a PR, it would probably not be accepted anyways.

1 Like

Maybe you can try, don’t give up on learning new things! :wink::blush:

1 Like

Simple but VERRRRRRY cool. Love it.

1 Like

Nice! Thanks for sharing.

Does this also work in Blender macOS?

1 Like

Should work in macOS aswell, but I have not tested :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cannot enable the addon this error pops out:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 4.0\4.0\scripts\modules\addon_utils.py”, line 364, in enable
mod = importlib.import_module(module_name)
File “C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 4.0\4.0\python\lib\importlib_init_.py”, line 126, in import_module
return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
File “”, line 1050, in _gcd_import
File “”, line 1027, in _find_and_load
File “”, line 1006, in _find_and_load_unlocked
File “”, line 688, in _load_unlocked
File “”, line 883, in exec_module
File “”, line 241, in call_with_frames_removed
File "C:\Users\Usuario\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\4.0\scripts\addons\drag
&drop_install_addons_init.py", line 14, in
class WM_FH_install_addons(bpy.types.FileHandler):
AttributeError: ‘module’ object has no attribute ‘FileHandler’

The add-on is for Blender 4.1 only unfortunately, in Blender 4.2 drag and drop for addons will be default.

1 Like

Excuse me by this question, but what PR stands for?

It stands for Pull Request. Basically a developer alters the code of a software and submits the changes for review to the maintainer of the software, who then offer some feedback on the code and can choose to integrate it into the main codebase.

2 Likes

Ahhh, ok, I know what is pull request… Sorry by that stupid question… Thank you so much.

1 Like