Dragoness

This model started out as me experimenting around with M.U.G.E.N. some time ago. Then I let it sleep somewhere… until I recently woke it up again. Changed and adapted the model so it is usable in the Drag[en]gine Game Engine. Actually I wanted to use it for an Audio Test-Case so I went ahead and gave her a make-over (M.U.G.E.N. is 2D and toon-shaded while Drag[en]gine is 3D and PBR). Furthermore I created all the animations used in the video for this make-over. I wanted to make “hold” style animations which are not too complex but have a certain “mood” to them.

The model will be freely available in the “Audio Example Application” project that will be downloadable alongside the Game Engine when released.

The Image is a still from the video. I have no idea how to add videos to posts so I try it the old direct-link way:

Short Video
Long Video (Skip to 15:30)

NOTE: The gems work better in daylight conditions. In the room-light situation it is duller as expected. But that’s PBR at work I guess.

The game engine looks nice.

Drag(en)gine has been around for many years now, but Indiedb and other sites don’t seem to show it having much of a userbase.

The Dragon character looks nice though, though I wonder if it’s just a preference to not have a lot of texture work across the whole model.

That’s because I’ve not released the game engine yet to the public. I hate pre-alpha software release with permanent API breakage and being always “frickly”. So I want to release it when it reached a specific level. Not far away from it at this point in time.

It’s true the character has flat-skin. The M.U.G.E.N. character had flat-skin too because it had been toon-shaded. For this reason I kept the model in the same style. But I’ll certainly experiment later on with textures.