Dragunov Sniper Rifle

Here is another gun modeled by me - Dragunov Sniper Rifle. SVD was designed in Sovet Union by group of designers led by Yevgeny Dragunov in 1950s and 1960s.
It was not easy to find time to model this one, but I did it anyway. Tried to improve my renders and improve the textures by increasing texel density to 180 and use 8k so textures are so optimized. Anyway SVD has 21.3k verts, 45k edges and 23,8k faces.

Artstation post: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/29Xv1Y

10 Likes

Nice work!

The grain pattern on the stock seems a little off though. Having vertically stacked grain like that would require specially milled lumber, and it would significantly weaken the structure of the stock. The grain pattern does match this reference image really well though:

This is a faux woodgrain, likely applied though a hydrodip transfer. Your wood material looks really realistic though, especially the wear patterns, but the orientation of the grain throws things off a little bit.

Again, really nice work, please pardon the nitpicking!

2 Likes

Beautiful rifle and beautiful model. Good work! :smiley:

1 Like

Excellent :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you, next time i will be more accurate with materials

2 Likes

Great work. I am also working on AWM sniper, finished modeling and want to go for baking and texturing. Since your looks so realistic, I wanted to ask about your workflow.

You put it all in one 8K texture? It’s good for rendering I assume. But for games it could be really hard. Is there some way, for example, to have multiple texture maps : 1 for scope, 1 for barrel, 1 for body - and have them all on 2k or 4k. Do you have experience with that workflow, and is that “industry standard” workflow? Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hi, thank you for feedback and your question! There are 6 texture sets - 4 8k, 1 4k and 1 1k. You can have multiple texture sets for your model and of course for games it’s better to have 2k or 4k textures then 8k.

1 Like