Draw mesh attributes using GPU?

Im not a coder, so question may be asking a bit incorrectly.
I know what Blender have a “GPU module” which, as example, can take mesh data and draw the “duplicated” mesh in the viewport . Is that in practice possible to get mesh color attributes and draw them as overlayed mesh?

If yes, when how its performance costly exactly? Like, if we have a 100k triangles mesh and try to draw and update it every frame, would we have like a GPU performance killer with stuttering and lagging, or it will just a slightly noticeable fps drop, for, as example RTX2060?

1 Like

I think it depends on how you draw the triangles, if you do it naively then yes this will create stuttering, if you batch what you can and keep the number of draw calls limited I think it should be possible to make it fast.

For a mesh with 100,000 triangles, updating and drawing it every frame using a GPU like an RTX 2060 should generally be manageable without causing significant performance issues. However, the exact impact on performance can vary based on additional factors like scene complexity, other GPU tasks, and specific render settings.

1 Like