Drifting Eyes! How can I rig them properly?

Hello to Everyone!

I am rigging my character but a strange error prevents me from making eyes to stay in place with eye bones. I did set parent to → Bone, but then when I move the head bone in any directions they sort of drift away from the bones, the more I pull the more they drift away. Also, when I did the parenting and even before I think the eye bones connected to ground with this dotted line that looks like they are parented to the ground but when I do ‘Clear parent’ the lines do not disappear. Only the actual parenting to the head disappears. Do you know how can solve this problem?

Best

The bones are green, which means there’s some sort of constraint on them (Track-to, presumably, but anything else?). Check the bone constraints tab, I imagine your problem is in there somewhere.

Really if you are asking rigging questions it is best to post a blend. You can post it to http://pasteall.org/blend/ and post your URL the site gives you.

If you can’t do that, take a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3shZOfHTReg

Drifting is usually caused by cyclic dependencies. Toggle system console from window menu and see if it says anything.

Hi,
Yes I constrained them to the eye rig so that they can move accordingly to its placement. However, it works only if I point them, if I move the whole structure they drift away even though I parented them to these bones and the bones itself do move properly with the structure. I have unconstrained them and they started to move accordingly to the neck however, they stopped following the eye rig that is meant to give them direction.

Many thanks for you reply :slight_smile:

Hi,
I will look into cyclic dependencies because I do not really know what is it. I toggled the system console from the window and this is how it looks.

Thanks for reply :slight_smile:

It might not say anything until you start moving stuff in pose mode.

If not a cyclic dependency, it could be a double transform problem. Please provide a blend file !

Apologies, I won’t have time to look at it. What does it say ? Try to troubleshoot it yourself, it usually is explicit enough (“X depends on Y and Y depends on X…”).

No problem!

Thanks for your time anyway :wink:

For real though, you should upload your file and let others take a look at it, it’s much easier.