Dropship/Utility craft

This is the next ship for my comic book, a dropship/utility craft. It’s the huey of the future it will serve as a dropship, short range transport, search & rescue, light cargo and so forth.
Just the cockpit so far but I will have the entire fuselage soon.
c&c welcome.

Attachments

Finished the fuselage and canopy. The second image shows the ship with a mock up of a container that it carries, the containers can be customized for different uses.

Attachments

Added the atmospheric engine and thrust nozzles.

Attachments

Hm, it seems as if all the weight would be in the front when it isn’t carrying cargo, you should add a cabin-ish thing on the top-back for the soldiers it will carry, if it is meant for military purposes.

@Avenger96 - thanks for the comment, as for the balance there will be 2 engines on the rear for thrust in space. The containers are for passengers or what ever they are needed for, there will be different configurations for various purposes. When I model the containers they will have interiors so you will see what I mean.
I should have an update soon.

Everything old is new again…

Like the idea of what you are designing… and like one other ship builder on lately… your designs remind me of my childhood and one particular ship in general. The Eagle… Probably one of the best known and well loved ships of any SciFi series…and ranked by real scientists as probably the most accurate/probable scifi ship out there…

You have your forward cabin, center transport section and aft propulsion… while this is pretty standard… Here is how Eagle Transport tackled that idea…Just food for thought as you work thru your design…

http://homepages.tesco.net/d.sisson/EagleOne/EaglesTwo.jpg

Good Luck on your project!

Cujo31

@Cujo31 - the eagle was one of the inspirations for my design among others. I read in an online article written by some aerospace engineers that the eagle was very realistic, they listed a few other ships as well. I’ve been trying to find that article but so far no luck, I really need to start book marking before I read.

Update with VASIMR engines and maneuvering thrusters.

Attachments

Started on a basic container, not sure if I like it or not. I might do another with rounded corners and edges for a comparison.

Attachments

Did a little more on the container. Tomorrow I will get back to the uv unwrap on the fuselage and hopefully I will post an update with a texture.

Attachments

No renders today, I spent all day working on the uv’s. I will start on the normal map and texture tomorrow morning and hope to have a new render some time tomorrow afternoon.

Started working on the texture. Since this ship is used both in space and atmosphere I will be adding dirt and scratches. I will post an update tomorrow.

Attachments

Still working on the texture but it’s getting there.

Attachments

Finished the clean version of the texture, now I need to add the scratches and dirt. I’m going to do a different texture for a search & rescue version.

Attachments

I’m done with the texture for now I will get back to it when I finish modeling the containers.

Attachments

Looking great so far man but I think the cockpit could use a little subsurf, it looks a bit like a Lego model. And all the seams are barely visible, if they were a bit darker it would make the cockpit pop alot more.

agree with the subsurf and don’t forget to crease the cockpit will you be modeling the inside?

@MCNano117 - I may add sub surf to the canopy to see how it looks but I prefer that the seam not be too noticeable. As for the rest of the seams they are supposed to be molding joints, I pointed out in the thread for another ship that most of the ships have a carbon fiber shell so most of the fuselage is one piece.

@mikh3x4 - I will be modeling the cockpit interior, I was going to start that today but I started on the interior of the troop transport container instead.

Thanks for the comments.

Here is a new render with the container, I change the focal length of the camera to 60 mm so it dose not look stretched. Also a render of the interior of the container, still a lot to do there.

Attachments

I narrowed the cockpit section and started work on the cockpit interior. I was going to make this a two seater with the seats side by side but I think it will look better as a single seater.
I will get back to the container interior when I’m done with the cockpit.

Here is a before and after of the cockpit section and a shot of the interior.

Attachments

I’ve been working on the ejection seat, I know I need to work on the harness. I will be adding more details as well.

Attachments

Looking good!! There isn’t much that can be critiqued at this point, but it looks good so far!!