duplicate objects with different texture offsets?

I’m way over complicating this one… I have multiple copies of the same object (ALT D), but I want each object to have a different texture offset. I’m making stacked logs for a log cabin and they all look like copies of the same log. Yep, I tried all the menus and help topics I could find to no avail :o. Can someone plz tell me what I’m missing?

Thanks in advance,
E

If your objects can be textured by a image mapped cubically, stick an empty off to the side and use it for the basis of your texture mapping. It’s got some shortcomings but is usually a quick and dirty solution.

http://www.runningwolfpack.com/misc/blender/tn_001.png

With one of the Duplicates selected, go to the Editing panel (F9). Under Links and Materials, you will see the data block name (something like ME:Log). Next to the data block name will be the number of users, click that number and set it to “single user”. Now, under material, you can Delete the current material and add a New one.

Ah thanks Dichotomy, that’s what I was trying to avoid… I guess it makes sense though. I’ve gotten spoiled by softer build tools :o

And thanks for the tip Ysen, it may help. I was using tubular mapping because I don’t understand the difference between them and just selected the one that gave the best effect, but I’ll give it a shot :slight_smile:

Wow, I got the jest of it now. You can make anything and add a material and texture and adjust the original settings however you like then duplicate the object as many times as you want, but then you have to unlink each object, material and texture before tweaking each texture individually… (F9: Single User: a - n), (F6: Single User: a - n), (F5: Single User: a - n). That makes it a little easier than reapplying new materials to each duplicate object.

Thanks again for your help guys! :smiley: