Dynamic Text shows "@" or Nothing

The title says it all, along with this short video.

By the way, the font sheet I modified was a tga, I think. Also, the new font sometimes actually works in the embedded player. I hope that covers everything.

Is your font sheet the same dimensions as the ones that work?

As far as I know, yes. I opened the sheet as is, on Photoshop, edited on it, and exported a png from that.

this has been broken in the latest few versions of blender.

If you’re using UPBGE, it is not supported. Last I knew.

In older builds, if I had this working, and suddenly it showed the @. Then saving, quiting, restarting Blender almost always fixed it.

Try it in an older version, see if it works.

Here’s a sample of one working. See if it works in your version of Blender.
This works in BF 2.78

http://pasteall.org/blend/index.php?id=50133

Well everyone, thanks for your help. I guess I’ll just accept that font sheets aren’t going to work for the Blender I’m using. Maybe I’ll look into fonts for the default text, but I can’t do it on this topic. Thanks again.

It does work in blender, you need to use .tga files, other files like .png won’t work in blender for text. After you set it up, save it, reload the file, blender crashes, load the file, hit p and it works (without crashing anymore, crashing is just due to a glitch related to converting the bitmap i gues)

Here i made a working setup (blender v2.79) for you:
dynamic text.blend (540.4 KB)

I created this font map(today) with a script from 2001 in blender itself, the dirty script is from michaelbaker. If there is intrest in this, let me now and i’ll create a topic in resources for it.

ps: @edderkop

Try with the original file. The ‘noise’ at the top is co-ordinate data for the letters, so doing anything like resizing, changing file type, etc can prevent it from working.

Yes do it please. I hate bge text. It’s not smooth and looks ugly to me. Post some tutorial how to create and use such font sheets in 2.79.

1 Like