Dyntopo tests

Thanks! Ass HANDS actually.

Those leather(?) straps are giving her a naughty vibe so I think you may want to leave them uncovered :slight_smile:

What the hell czerw this is disturbing. Please go on. :smiley:

So yeah, posted that in the other thread as an example for the GSOC sculpting student Sebastian Witt - my last try with dyntopo, random design, quick render with sky texture :

Now I want to retopo and give it some more detail (because 1,7M tris is becoming slow with dyntopo) but knowing how bad multires can behave is kinda off-putting, so… anyone knows whether 3dcoat can handle layers and that kind of thing ? It’s much cheaper than zbrush.

Hadrien

​3D Coat appears to do almost everything from watching the videos on youtube. Lots of really good tools there from what I see.

Brilliant concept to model, you’ve captured the sketch wonderfully!

Awesome design, what is the problem with multires you mentioned though ?

Lunch work, trying to get back into sculpting again. All from an icosphere except the eyes.

1 Like

@Craig Jones awesome… :o
@PolyPincher never tried it myself but supposedly multires is super buggy, other people might be able to give more details about it… apparently it often corrupts the base mesh or something.

@Hadriscus and @PolyPincher, the multiresolution modifier can be unpredictable if you don’t know how to use it. For some reason people think that it’s possible to have a heavily subdivided and sculpted object, go back to the basemesh and just add some extrusions expecting everything to behave correctly afterwards… That’s not possible in Zbrush, Mudbox, or any other sculpting app. That’s why we have dyntopo and Zbrush has dynamesh. The Multiresolution modifier should be used only when you already have a basemesh that is ready to detail.

There’s one bug though, that can occur when you distort the basemesh too much, then random spikes can appear on higher subdivision levels, it is quite annoying, but again, if you have a basemesh ready just for detailing there shouldn’t be any problem.

What you shouldn’t do with multiresolution: start with a sphere and try to create a character out of it. :wink:

The real problem with multiresolution is performance, it can be VERY slow with higher subdivisions.

removed for privacy reasons

1 Like

Oh saint Buddha 118 million triangles ? And multires works fine if you start from clean topology ? Then I have nothing to worry about… I’ll give it a try, thanks a lot for your advice too.

Oh and is it possible to export the multires subdivisions as a heightmap ?

@Hadriscus:
My pleasure. Make sure to check the boxes “Threaded sculpt”, “Fast Navigate” and “Use Deform only” under “Options” in the T-Panel in Sculpt Mode! (only appears with meshes that have a multires modifier on then)
I never had any sort of spiking. I do only work with multires on very clean topology, so that might indeed be why.
You can bake heightmaps/displacement maps from Multires with Blender Internal if that is what you mean by exporting the multires subdivisions. (There is even a checkbox in case you want the lowres-mesh to be the bake target. I don´t use that however, I shrinkwrap a copy of my basemesh onto my highpoly sculpt to have a more accurate approximation. (Like shown HERE in post #80)) Just make sure to use 32Bit Float and TIFF or Open_EXR, not PNG or BMP or JPEG when you save out your maps to avoid unpleasant surprizes. :wink:

I appreciate the breakdown - I don’t fully understand your picture though, and I see I am not the only one :smiley: - in the end you shrinkwrap the lowres retopo mesh onto the multires sculpt ? What’s the advantage of that method compared to just using the multires sculpt ?

My goal is to rig the thing so I can pose it nicely - does the armature modifier play well with multires ?

Hadrien

Thank you my friend ! :slight_smile:

Yes It does :slight_smile:

removed for privacy reasons

Thanks for the info guys, I’ll try it myself when I get around to retopo my beast. As for the picture, ok I get it - thanks for explaining further (actually, the other person expressed confusion before you posted the image, my bad).

Ahh, then I should be in the clear, I have never modified the basemesh after going multires, my workflow is basically doing overall shapes and some detailing in dyntopo, retopo to get a clean mesh, add enough multires subdivisions to have the detail transfer to a satisfactory level, and finalize the sculpting.

Quick additional note on sculpting with multires modifier on very high subdivision levels: using autosmooth with brushes that affect lots of polygons at the same time WILL slow down performance significantly. So keep an eye out for that. (I keep forgetting this myself) :wink:

Hey thanks! Thats what i was aiming for. I like your alien-insect-horse. Nice details. I wonder how it would look textured.

And here is a little update on mr. butt-arms.

I leaped and bought zbrush (it’s related to a 3dprint project a friend and I have been thinking about, so not entirely a compulsive buy, although I felt like giving myself a present). My god, what a blast. I retopo’ed my beast with a handful of curve guides, reprojected the details onto the dyntopo sculpt - took me like five minutes, and the SHEER SPEED of this thing… it doesn’t have the flexibility of dyntopo though, I’ll keep on concepting in Blender, but for cleanup and prepping for print, this is the shit.

1 Like