E-Cycles - The fastest render engine for Blender. 3.2 release available now!

Kinda of a joke, but who knows: Mathieu can you apply your skills to LuxCore too?
E-LuxCore?? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hi @csimeon,

the adaptive subdivision option is slower most of the time indeed, because of the more complex BVH as @giacometti777 said and also because it quickly fills the GPU memory, leading to using system memory. On the shader side, their are some extra steps too iirc.

Overall, I think itā€™s a very old way (code wise) of doing subdivision, there are much better alternatives and my goal is to completly replace it as soon as I find enough time for it. As itā€™s still not officially supported, itā€™s still easy to replace. The alternative Iā€™m working on saves a lot of memory, is much faster to compute and is more maintainable on the code side.

Iā€™m happy to hear you could render a video over night with a laptop GPU :slight_smile:

3 Likes

!! really? and this will be applied during Cycles rendering? that means displacement wonā€™t be visible in solid mode vp, correct?

Time is a bit limited currently. I already have 2 other add-ons which are actually usable since a year and still not released. They only need doc and product page, but I prefer quality over quantity, so E-Cycles gets all the time it needs.

1 Like

Time will tell :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have some issue while rendering,
once i hit F12, the rendering just said ā€œcancelā€
Have no idea why

I could only render in CPU mode right now

Hi,
thanks for the report. Please send a .blend file, your OS, CPU, GPU and driver version/model and the steps to reproduce the error. On Gumroad, you can answer any mail you received about E-Cycles, on the Blender Market page, their is a ā€œmessageā€ button on the right panel.

Made with E-Cycles this week:

https://twitter.com/Luan3dr_blender/status/1227091616516780032

5 Likes

Hi, just a tip - probably you have low TDR value. I got this mistake too - this error ā€œcancelā€ . After I adjusted the TDR to 200 it got better.

2 Likes

Nice, thanks! Iā€™m trying to have the Denoise on viewport in the last 2.82 e-cycles release with a GTX 1080Ti and I got this error ā€˜ā€˜cancelā€™ā€™. That TDR value solves this? Or is due to my graphic card?

Hi, I guess you have E-Cycles RTX 2020?
I am not sure if Optix for GTX cards is implemented already, I have deleted the last mail from @bliblubli with the release notes.
The higher TDR value keeps Windows ā€œthinkā€ the application has crashed because of no response in xy seconds.

Cheers, mib

1 Like

Yes from the email I read that the ā€œE-Cycles RTX now has viewport denoising, compatibility with GTX 9xx and 1xxx and light groups (possibility to tweak lightning in post pro thanks to new passes). Thanks to new improvements in performance, the BMW scene can now be rendered in 12 seconds on a single underclocked 2080Ti with OptiX!ā€

So this works if you have RTX eCycles on GTX cards. Not on the regular eCycles.

2 Likes

Oh, that puts me in a weird situation, I bought e-cycles GTX because I have a GTX card of course, now I see a desirable feature for my GTX in the RTX build, which I canā€™t accessā€¦

On the other side, I totally get the double job it supposes for the coder to maintain and develop two builds with different optimizationsā€¦

Wouldnā€™t be possible to implement optix denoiser in CUDA?

Hi Victor,

yes, viewport denoising on 9xx and 1xxx works:

I would tweak the TDR Value as other said. The file also has to be compatible with OptiX (the Blender manual has an official list of supported features). If itā€™s a supported scene and still cancel, you can send me a bug report with the file to reproduce.
2 Likes

Viewport denoising , I had problem when there was bevel node in my scene, after deleting it all works OK now on GTX 980 and 1080 too.

1 Like

OptiX is closed source, so their is now way to know how it works internally. Itā€™s certainly possible to make an AI denoiser with CUDA but it would then be from scratch, which is a big undertaking.

I can understand you would like to change your choice with the new features. For people in your case, I can offer if you want:

• sidegrade where you only pay the difference, plus the 50$ off which are currently offered until Sunday.
  • if you have E-Cycles 2019, I can even reactivate the special offer with E-Cycles RTX 2020 at 150ā‚¬ and substract what you already paid for 2020. So you can get the upgrade to RTX 2020 for 99ā‚¬ or even 49ā‚¬ with all 2020 updates :slight_smile:
1 Like

But, viewport denoiser aside, CUDA is still faster for GTX cards I guess, isnā€™t it?

Ohhh, thatā€™s it. Unfortunately I have the e-cycles CUDA version :frowning:
Thank you guys!

Thanks Mathieu! I realized that it doesnā€™t work for E-cycles CUDA.
Thank you for your help!

1 Like