E-Cycles - The fastest render engine for Blender. 3.2 release available now!

Ah, then I don’t know because in my case the images with the same settings were never different. Maybe I need a file, or Mathieu will help you.

2 Likes

Just for the record, in case someone get a similar issue with higher noise. It can be due to the transparent shadows option like in this case. You can simply activate that option if you want a quick way to be able to use shader transparency tricks.
I still recommend to watch the E-Cycles tutorials and use the more modern techniques shown there. Those videos are kept really short and can help a lot. It will make your shaders much easier to manage, it will render faster and give the exact same visual output.

Hi Domiek,
thanks for the report. if the settings are the same and look is different, then it looks like a bug. Could you please make a bug report on the Blender Market with a file to reproduce and the information from the “steps for bug reports.txt” file (available in your downloads)?

New builds of E-Cycles 2.90.1 and 2.91 alphas are up.

• a bug when using motion blur with persistent data was fixed.
  • a bug when using Light Groups on Multi-GPU setups was fixed.
  • 2.90.1 now should work again on GTX 7xx cards
2 Likes

Newer builds of E-Cycles are using CUDA 11. As mentioned per mail to everyone, it requires to use a recent driver: at least 450, but best is current 456 driver from a performance point of view.

On top of the new driver, it may give some slightly different results in some corner cases. I get quite a lot of report currently due to the sales too, so answer time may be higher. In the mean time, you can use any previous version like 2.83.6 or 2.90.0 which are using CUDA 10.1.

2 Likes

The updated 2.90.1 E- cycle is not working on my gtx 780,tesla k80,tesla k40.

Blender 2.90.1 standard is working.

Have no problems with other gpu renders with my rig.

And are u going to cut off older gpus with E-cycle ?

I answered you in your PM already, newer E-Cycles versions require 450+ driver, all the needed kernels for your GPUs are here. If the bug persists with 450+ drivers, please make a bug report on the Blender Market ticket system. It will make the process faster.
Plan is still to support all GPUs like official Blender :slight_smile:

I buy a Blender renderer and the first thing to do is a bug report :sweat_smile:

The early e,-cycle version 2.82 is working, i use that until u fix the newer version :+1:

I tryed 2.82 yesterday Its a fast renderer :heart:

E-Cycles 2.90 and 2.83.6 should also work with older drivers, I made the switch to CUDA 11 like 10 days ago.
For the fix, I would be happy to provide one, but I need details. I brought back the missing sm_30 kernel, 35 and 37 were already here, so the only possible issue I see with the information I have is that the driver is too old for Cuda 11. Can you please confirm the bug you have happens with v452.38 drivers?

I made a new release E-Cycles v20201013 for Tesla K40 and K80 cards :slight_smile:

Have u upload it, cant find it in the list

I installed 452.39 for all tesla gpus+ updated gtx 780 to latest driver, not working.

waiting for your Tesla version :hugs:

Hi,

For a long time I wanted to buy E-Cycles, and I took advantage of the discount to get the RTX version.
I found one trouble with ‘‘E-Cycles & Pro Lighting Studio’’ when I want to use the Light Groups, I got this message:

Erreur: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files\E-Cycles\2.90\scripts\addons\cycles\ui.py", line 314, in execute
    x = scene.node_tree.nodes["Render Layers"].location.x
KeyError: 'bpy_prop_collection[key]: key "Render Layers" not found'

When I try with lights that I add myself, I don’t encounter the problem.

Do you have any idea where can from this problem?

Thank you,

Is there some sort of guidelines when it comes to using the same files between regular Cycles and E-Cycles? Not my first time experiencing weird bugs between the two. For example:

E-Cycles on the left, Cycles on the right. Same file used in both renders. Her lips load in deformed and open like this when opening the file in Blender 2.90 but reopening in E-Cycles 2.91 it’s fine again. Additionally you can see around the nose that the normal map in E-Cycles is very different than regular Cycles. Not sure why I keep getting different results despite not touching any settings other than light path which is identical in both renders.

Same thing when opening in Octane 2.83

Is this an E-Cycles issue or are we simply not supposed to move files in between Blender versions?

Thank you

So you are on Gumroad and if yes, which channel? Those builds are only for you yet, so I would like to upload those only in one channel.

Thanks for the report. E-Cycles only modifies the rendering code, so any bug happening outside of rendering is most certainly a bug in Blender. As you are using alpha builds (2.91 is in alpha) if you have a deformation issue, it’s most probably a bug introduced in master and present in this particular E-Cycles build. If it’s reported and fixed upsream, the fix will be in the next E-Cycles build.

Generally, it’s recommended to work with stable builds for production. 2.83.7 is the most stable, 2.90.1 a bit less. If you want to be sure that the modifiers work the same as in Blender, you can simply use the same E-Cycles version. If you used to work on Blender 2.90, opening in E-Cycles 2.90 should give the same deformation.

In Blender and E-Cycles, switching from an older to newer version should be ok, the other way round may work but is less safe as features may be missing and the versioning code is not made for this kind of scenario.

1 Like

Hi,
thanks for the report. It looks like this add-on is changing the name of the Render Layer node and thus E-Cycles can’t find it. Could you please provide a scene to reproduce your issue? It should work without the add-on and then I can make the light group add-on to search for the right name in this case.

I wrote to you at blendermarket.
U can put up link there or send it to my mail.
My tesla card is waiting :yum:

1 Like

Just one curious question:

Why that big file size difference between Linux and Windows versions?

Is it E-Cycles or native Blender related?

Thanks!

Hi,
it’s due to the compression algorithm. On windows, it uses 7-zip, on Linux, it uses bz2. I could use .tar.xz on Linux to use lzma like 7-zip, but distros have variable support for it. To ensure it works out-of-the-box for everyone, I use a format supported by all distros.

1 Like