E-Cycles - The fastest render engine for Blender. 3.2 release available now!

As I look at the interface, I want a regen on the light groups.

I think I see better what you want and what the issue is, but I think an image / GIF of what is happening in your file and what you want would help a lot.

You are welcome to send a PM or better a message on the platform you are on (ā€œmessageā€ button on the E-Cycles product page on the Blender Market or simply answering any mail from Gumroad about E-Cycles).

We can then see if itā€™s a tweak to the sync/apply button or complete new operator which is needed.

Mathieu

Not sure if possible, but would be great to get a scene ready for E-Cycles so we can compare for real the speed differences.
Honestly I have failed hard on making E-Cycles to be as fast as is promoted or even close to it, so I know that is a settings things. Thatā€™s why having a scene provided by the developer would help a lot.

hi @bliblubli , Iā€™m having some more eCycles issues that I donā€™t quite understand. I was working on a scene and the first 3 renders went perfectly fine. The 4th render crashes with the following error.

ā€œError: Illegal address in cuMemFree(mem.device_pointer) (device_cuda_impl.cpp:1035)Illegal address in cuMemFree(mem.device_pointer) (device_cuda_impl.cpp:1035)Illegal address in cuMemsetD8((CUdeviceptr)mem.device_pointer, 0, mem.memory_size()) (device_cuda_impl.cpp:1120)CUDA_ERROR_ILLEGAL_ADDRESS in cuMemcpyHtoDAsync(d_wtile_ptr, &wtile, sizeof(wtile), cuda_stream[thread_index]) (device_optix.cpp:800)ā€

Nothing changed in this scene except for different poses in the characters. I then opened up the same file in vanilla Blender and was able to render it without issues 4 times in a row. Attempted it 4 times again in eCycles resulting in 3 of these same cuMemFree errors and once in a crash to desktop.

The only thing different between Vanilla and eCycles settings was that Acceleration Structure Master Skin Tint was on. I attempted an additional 5th test render with Master Skin Tint off and also failed another cuMemFree error. I also uninstalled my Nvidia drivers with DDU and updated to driver version 456 as you recommended in this thread and it still resulted in the same error.

Both eCycles and Vanilla Blender are version 2.91. Iā€™ve noticed this happening in the past as well where a scene renders fine but eventually starts crashing after the first few renders. Any ideas what the issue could be?

Thank you

Good morning (o;

Got some scenes from Entity Designer from blendermarket where OptiX rendering is not possible, saying:

OptiX backend does not support ā€˜Ambient Occlusionā€™ and ā€˜Bevelā€™ shader nodes yet

Seems this drawback exists since a year nowā€¦

Is there anything I can do to be able to render it with OptiX?

thanks in advance
richard

Hi,
thanks for the proposition. The BMW scene, which is part of the official Blender benchmarks works very well and has tons of data to compare to. If you have a file where the render speed is not as promoted, you are welcome to make a report (answer any email from Gumroad about E-Cycles or message me on the Blender Market product page)

Hi Domiek,
thanks for the report. I guess you are on Windows and you have the driver timeout still on and low? If you did set your TDR as shown in the video tutorial or use Linux/Mac and still have the issue, you are welcome to provide a file to reproduce (see email above to report).

1 Like

Hi Richard,

deleting the nodes is enough most of the time. In the rainy day scene (which is the only one with those nodes as far as I know) itā€™s on the skirting behind the sofa.
Otherwise, I have some beta code for supporting both with OptiX, it will take some time still to get it as fast as I want and stable.

Kind regards,
Mathieu

Heh, I have just discovered this add-on:

But E-Cycles is so fast that I guess it makes this add-on useless. :wink:

2 Likes

Hi @bliblubli, thanks for the reply.

I have good and bad news. The good news is that I solved the issue and it doesnā€™t seem to be the fault of eCycles. One of my cards is acting up and removing it has allowed me to render without the error crash. The bad news isā€¦ one of my cards is acting up :cold_sweat:

Iā€™m not sure why it still rendered in vanilla cycles without issue. Maybe your optimizations push the cards harder?

Either way, thank you for your help despite my numerous posts!

1 Like

Hey Mat, I downloaded the latest 2.91 alphaā€¦I couldnā€™t find the Mesh to volume modifier in there, is that something that was forgotten or is just a result of timing? The Modifier I am speaking about more specifically is the Volume > Mesh and not the Mesh > Volume.

1 Like

They are modifiers belonging to the new volume object (which can be found in the add menu).

Create a volume object and look in the modifier context.

1 Like

Do light groups work fine with adaptive sampling in E-Cycles?

Hi @Domiek,

itā€™s ok, Iā€™m happy to hear E-Cycles works as expected. Sorry to hear you have a defect card, I hope you have warranty on it.
E-Cycles better uses the cores of your GPU, so it can indeed push the card harder and show defect hardware faster than vanilla Blender. At least, it improves the odds that you notice the hardware issue while still under warranty :slight_smile:

1 Like

It may have been a timing issue, new builds of E-Cycles 2.91 20201024 are up. Maybe it was only added to 2.92 though. I already have 2.92 builds of E-Cycles which Iā€™m working on, I hope to show them soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @chafouin ,

only sobol and dithered sobol support light groups officially for now. Most scenes render faster with samples halved and AI-Denoiser than with adaptive sampling and AI-Denoiser anyway. This is mostly due to the fact that AIs are trained on sobol and that adaptive sampling is only speeding-up rendering when the scene complexity is very variable across the frame. As NLM is nearly not used anymore, I mostly test builds with sobol (activating adaptive sampling silently switch to PMJ).

On top of that, light groups are most of the time useful in the lightning setup phase only, which can now be done in the viewport (and where adaptive sampling is not available). When you are done with your light setup, you can apply the strength and tint and use adaptive sampling. So the priority to make both compatible is currently low.

If it really helps in a production scenario and is superior to other available techniques, Iā€™m ok to investigate. Could you please provide such a case (per message/PM if you want)?

1 Like

E-Cycles 2.91 beta is available with:

• fast light groups creation + real time tint and strength adjustment
  • persistent data
  • viewport light groups
  • native support for RTX 3xxx GPUs

You are welcome to report any bug you find to get a polished version for your workflow :slight_smile:

Happy rendering!

4 Likes

Hi Mathieu,

Find a ā€˜ā€™.blendā€™ā€™ file where you will see the problem with E-Cycles and Pro Lighting Studio:

E-Cycles_Bug.blend (226.5 KB)

Thank you,

I have to say that the viewport light groups is pretty amazingā€¦ This is a genius workflow.

2 Likes

Hello @bliblubli

Im using 3 months membership for E - cycles ā€¦
and I received a RTX 3080 today

my test BMW scene

Blender CUDA 0:27
Blender OPTIX 0:12

E-cycles CUDA 0:13
E-cycles Optix 0:08

how many improve E-cycles RTX ???

sorry for my bad english

Thank you :slight_smile: you doing amazing work :slight_smile: