E-Cycles - The fastest render engine for Blender. 3.2 release available now!

E-Cycles is now providing it’s denoising improvements out-of-the-box together with the render speed-up!
You can simply open your file and render to get both improvements!
Examples below are rendered at 9 samples with SSAA 4x.
31 sec. in Blender, 14 sec. in E-Cycles.

E-Cycles Animation Denoising which is under development currently was used in the advertising video of Vegetation 3. It allowed to cut sample count by 3 compared to using latest OIDN 1.4, speeding up rendering by the same factor!

4 Likes

Mathieu buddy, something I am not at all clear on is if E-C (and probably more importantly the denoisers with their passes) use temp files at all, or if everything is always done in ram and vram as needed then dumped afterwards… I work mainly off of my NVMe drive and want to make sure there are no hidden temp files being placed somewhere that I am not aware of (and possibly not deleted afterward). I am doing some housecleaning right now because I’m getting a wee low on NVMe space, and this would really help me nail down what is Bogarting my oh-so-valuable drive space… Please advise. : - )

Hi, cant speak for E-Cycles but Blender create .tmp files for many things like auto save, quit, and much more.
If you don´t change the path in Blender Preferences it write to AppData\Local\Temp on Windows.
The files are not deleted after restart Windows.
Don´t look for browser .tmp files, browser write thousands of it on you disk. :slight_smile:

Cheers, mib

1 Like

Thanks mib, but Win10, Blender, other apps, browser cache, etc, are all on C:… which is not the NVMe, and just one of my huge SSD… I know that Davinci Resolve, for instance, uses my NVMe for caching things (I prolly told it to way back when)… I just wanted to make sure that nothing like the denoise passes where somehow being stuck on other drives. Now that you mention it, I guess it is pretty standard that apps use AppData\Local (etc) by default… and would ask otherwise… I am still curious about the passes data though. Would be cool to know if those are all in memory. Pretty significant amount of data I imagine…

1 Like

As Mib said, and E-Cycles behaves like Bender here :slight_smile:

Official E-Cycles 2.93 builds are now available!

• new feature: strength slider to choose the amount of grain you want for your render directly from the render panel!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1399763801751396354

made with E-Cycles recently:
3D floorplans by Katarzyna Zajac

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ykn0kO by desiree segura

Happy rendering!

1 Like

Hi!
Currently, in downloads section I can only see E-Cycles 7 for RTX/OptiX. Is there going to be a version compatible with GTX cards too, or will it always be RTX-only?

Hi!
E-Cycles 7 should already work on GTX 9xx + cards. You are welcome to provide render time results on the Blender Market ticket system and I’ll see if I can optimize further for your GPU architecture :slight_smile:

New builds of E-Cycles 7 are up with several stability and performance improvements.
E-Cycles 7 v20210603 builds for Windows and Linux include:

• support for volumetrics
  • support for multi-GPU rendering

Happy rendering!

2 Likes

ok im using the E-Cycles_2.93_2021.1_release_20210603_win_lite_rtx $1 version on my GTX1070
and for the same sample count with the same settings vs the latest cycles X build (jun 4th) E-cycles is a bit slower but somehow it totally blows Cycles X out of the water in terms of OIDN denoise cleanup, and retaining sharp texture details… i mean no contest… i tried doubling the sample count for cycles X from 128 upto 256 but E-Cycles still was dominating it.

So E-cycles denoise = incredible.

1 Like

You have to compare the Cycles version with OIDN 1.4 it will be a fair comparison

1 Like

I figured it might be that E-cycles is using the very latest OIDN… But i dont know how to tell what version of OIDN the latest branch of CyclesX is using.

CyclesX is currently using OIDN 1.3

Anomalous result.

Take the Erindale demo file, i unchekced optix denoise and added OIDN in the compositor instead, and added a sharpen filter. Other than that i left the settings as they were. GPU was selected and i have GTX 1070, and 1700X ryen set to be used for optix rendering.
The anomaly is i tried it with cyclesX and had to use CPU render because it gave the AO+Bevel not supported error…
But using only the CPU Cycles X took 7min 14 seconds
E-Cycles should have ran rings around it by using the GPU, bit it did not it took 6mins… What the??

Question how can Cycles X using only a Ryzen 1700X be nearly as fast as E-Cycles using at GTX 1070?

(notice the big difference in the render because OIDN 1.4 keeps the fine detail… Erindale actually said the setup was meant for optix denoise to give painterly effect obviously using OIDN 1.4 here needs way more samples to get a smooth look.)

1 Like

I downloaded E-Cycles_7_alpha_20210603_win_rtx(Optix) and tested it with my GTX 1080Ti card. Optix denoiser does not work for viewport.

But Optix Denoiser works in E-Cycles_3.0_2021.1_alpha_20210602_win(CUDA)

Should this be this way?

EDIT: Tested this in E-Cycles_3.0_2021.1_alpha_20210602_win(CUDA) and denoiser for viewport is broken for me. No Optix or OIDN working in this veriosn.

1 Like

Exactly the same here with 4x1080ti

1 Like

@bliblubli what is e cycles 7 and does it have difference from e cycles 3.0 alpha version. And does cycle x implemented in e cycles 3.0 alpha?

Just downloaded E-Cycles_3.0_2021.1_alpha_20210607_win_lite_rtx And the latest Cycles 3.0 Alpha.

Ran a test render. E-cycles lost.
Cycles was using 64x64 tiles.
E-cycles default settings but same file.

E-cycles 1 minute flat
Cycles 58.9 seconds
Caveat is cycles version of OIDN sucks in comparison to the apparent version in E-cycles.

System Spec GTX1070 + Ryzen 1700X.

If the latest version of OIDN really is this much better then its going to be another revolution in denoising. I think i will try the test at half the current samples see how the denoisers do.

Now for just 32 spp and without plugging in the albedo node as it seems introduce more artifacts.
1.3 OIDN is beginning to fall apart.

1 Like

The devs, are working on getting OIDN 1.4 operational for the vanilla edition of Cycles (note that this initial commit does not include the actual library upgrade).

2 Likes

I don’t know what’s going on. I downloaded the latest Driver from Nvidia 466.63

Now my Ecycles 2.92 Crashes in the viewport and the 3.0 Alpha does not even load in the viewport it just crashes. I am using a 1080Ti in Win10 environment. What am I missing. All the Ecycles from 2.92, 2.93, 3.0 all crash when trying to load the viewport renderer. Can someone offer some help.

Edit Just got 2.93 to work but the 2.92 and the 3.0 are still crashing.

This is the error I get on 2.92

I’ll try to find out with the 3.0

EDIT 2: This is what I have found. I am using a 1080Ti and a 970GTX, when they are both enabled in the prefs, it seems there is an issue. At the moment these are my options.

If I enable the 970 in tandem with the 1080 I get a loading kernels error. Is this normal? I