E-Cycles - The fastest render engine for Blender. 3.2 release available now!

That was my first Idea. I actually started by even working for free for the BF. After a while, I proposed to work at the Blender Foundation before starting E-Cycles. Back then, they wanted to focus on Eevee and Cycles was “secondary” to say the least. I kept believing in it and E-Cycles was born.

6 Likes

Hey Mat, I have recently run into an issue with using rigid body physics and animation. It seems that when I try to animate anything with the latest version of 2.93.5 that when I go to bake recycles consistently crashes. It doesn’t crash when you just animate let’s say a cell fracture falling apart, it only crashes when a passive object hits an active object. Can you confirm if this is happening with you as well. Or please let me know what I can do to figure out what is happening.
Thank you.

Does light linking works on selected vertices as well or just per object?

Can someone tell me how to enable Animation Denoising in e-cycles ?
Watched through a few videos but never came across this being mentioned and how to enable it.

Thanks for the detailed answer.
In conclusion, the best strategy to get fast and clean results when faced with these specific problematic renderers seem to be:

• separate into passes / AOV’s / cryptomatte depending on quality needs
  • using different denoise algorithms if necessary depending on result quality
  • chose the best denoiser for a specific problem area
  • brute force quality in areas where denoising in general fails
  • combine all together in post

This ensures the best of all worlds and seems rather trivial to archive while it still retains full flexibility.

Guys (anyone), does Persistent Data in 2.93.5 still only work for fly-thru animations, or does it support moving objects now too?.. And if it does need to update scene in GPU when objects are moving, is it only for those moving objects (still keeps other stuff in GPU), or does everything need to be reloaded?

Persistent data per definition means no change in geometry between frames, so do not expect any impossible progress.

Okay smarty-pants, can it not keep some things in my GPUs, at least at some point in the future?.. Why would it need to reload every last damn thing, every frame, every time, if only one mesh was moving, deforming, etc?.. Per my definition of persistent data, that could also possibly include some things being persistent in animations… :stuck_out_tongue:

Scene optimization rely on “tree-like” based optimization using cells, so when an object move/deform you have to basically recompute involved cells, recompute old and new ones and re-balance your tree.

Unfortunately some trees are not even built to be “re-balanced” so they basically are not able to handle such changes by design, and not even able to remove data on “foils” as it also means revert balance - remove / add foils - in order to keep performances (acceptable amount of data on each “foil” in order to keep computation efficient).

1 Like

Aye Cap’n… :poop: … Danke

Hi Vesper,

thanks for the report. Could you please check if it’s in E-Cycles only or in Blender too and if it’s only happening in E-Cycles, send me a .blend file to reproduce (answer your Gumroad purchase confirmation mail or open a ticket on the Blender Market)?

Kind regards,
Mathieu

You’re welcome.
Regarding your points, yes. I would add that OIDN is simply the best denoiser in all static cases.

1 Like

Actually, persistent data supports moving objects and will only reload needed stuff in E-Cycles 2.93 and up :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The $1 version of E-Cycles with faster rendering and multi-pass denoising is now back during the Black Week on the Blender Market!

Happy rendering!

no reply? I would like to know too.

@anon62435837 As explained in the 3.0 release notes, you can activate denoising and then you just have to click on the big “animation” button in the quick settings.
Tip: You can then close Blender to free up memory for rendering and a command line will show up.

1 Like

Did anyone have the Illegal address in CUDA queue synchronize (film_convert_float3_half_rgba) when trying to use Light groups pass in the viewport !?
W10 / 3070 / 472.47 Sutdio drivers. E-Cycles_X_Pro_2022_3.0_b.

Thank you @bliblubli … another question…

If I rendering animation using frame step (ex… frame range 0 to 30 step 2 — render frame 0 skip frame 1, render frame 2, skip frame 3…), denoise don’t work because it can’t find frame 0001… some way to workaround this?