E-Cycles - The fastest render engine for Blender. 3.2 release available now!

Hi Mathieu
I hope you are well :slight_smile:

I Have a Scatter5 user here that have an issue specifically with e-cycles, it seems that the line with bpy.data.libraries.load(blend_path, link=link) as (data_from, data_to): is causing an OSError situation, it is failing to locate the blend_path, even tho the path do exist on the user computer.

Any clue why this would happen only on E-cycles 3.0 build?

Cheers

1 Like

Tested the mnee caustics build, refractive caustics works pretty well, but reflective caustics only blurred reflections, is the current mnee caustics does not yet support the reflective caustics of metal? and future does mnee support reflective caustics?

What version has light linking I can’t seem to find it in minr.

Hi, I’d like to know why the RTX version is $300.

Hey Matthieu I recently sent you a private message for a purchase I made on the blender market before the fiasco, please check your inbox, wasn’t sure if you saw my message, I was only 6 months into my 1 year sub on blender market, and I haven’t had any access to any of the later builds since 3.1 and nothing for 2022. Please reply to my DM Thanks.

Is Matthieu still supporting this thread by any chance???

Mailed Mathieu yesterday and got a quick response as usual!

Hallo Peter,

yes, I'm fine, thank you. I plan to release a new 3.2 version later this week.

Kind regards,

Mathieu

Hth!

1 Like

Awesome will do I didn’t know his email, will proceed in the future with email, I just thought he was more active here.

Mathieu seems to be on an extended break of some kind, so if one of you dudes could answer the following, that would rock indeed.

I have an animated displacement waterfall that is the only thing moving in my scene, and I am not seeing motion blur in my test renders. Is it possible to get motion blur on animated displacements in E-Cycles? If so, please tell me how! Octane was able to do this, even years ago, when I still used it.

Hi norka, Mathieu is back, he released some updates today!

Great! Maybe he or someone else can answer my question. :stuck_out_tongue:

How much faster is the Mac Metal e-Cycles compared to the normal Cycles on Mac m1?

2 Likes

Hey Byte, could you please let me know where you mailed him to get him to respond. I haven’t received a response from him, not even in DM’s, it’s been three weeks since I messaged him
and I can’t find the updated files anywhere not on Blender market, where I still have 6 months of updates left and not on Gumroad either. I don’t know where to go to get the 3.2 versions that he was supposed to upload.

Hey @bliblubli I emailed you can you please get back to me.

Hello Everyone,

sorry for the silence, the 3.2 release was more complex than thought.
@BD3D thanks for the report, this API call is 100% the same in E-Cycles and Blender, what exact steps should be done in Scatter to reproduce (in case it still happen on 3.1.2 or 3.2 RC)?

@xyahr thanks for the feedback, reflective caustic support is not planned as far as I know.

@bello_quadri all E-Cycles Pro versions have light linking. It’s available in the render panel → smart light for the 1-click solution or in the object tab → shading for the manual way.

@ocularevolution E-Cycles Pro is for professionals. The price is made so that mot professionals doing rendering will get a return on investment within a month (thanks to spared machine and time). If you are only occasionally rendering, you can get the $1 version here.

@norka Motion blur for animated displacement in E-Cycles is like in vanilla Blender currently. While I have plans to implement a more modern displacement algorithm, I have no release date for it yet.

@Falgor I’ll try to publish benchmarks asap. If you are only looking for out-of-the box render speed though, I could do a $1 version for Mac maybe. The Pro version offers up to 8x faster rendering thanks to better denoising. As the speed-up comes from reduced sample count needed for the same result, this work on all platforms (rendering 256 samples instead of 1024 for example is about 4x faster on CPU as well as GPU and this on Mac, Linux and Windows)

@Vesper all answered per mail iirc?

3 Likes

New E-Cycles 3.2 RC builds are available now!

Changes since 3.1 include:

• several denoising presets for easy denoising setup
  • Improved caustics
  • all the latest improvements of upstream Blender 3.2

And also a lot of small stability and performance improvements.

Åland Islands House by Artur Szóstakowski:

Happy rendering,

Mathieu

3 Likes

Thanks for the info! This would be great! :ok_hand:

I’m planning to get a Mac Studio (base) so any performance improvement would be welcome, even though I’m not sure how much 3D work I’ll get at the moment.

1 Like

You can now get E-Cycles 3.2 release with:

You can try a free demo to see by yourself, with free tutorials on the Youtube channel on top!

Ronen Bekerman has a very interesting making-of about Åland Islands House by Artur Szóstakowski, with E-Cycles as the render engine!

Happy rendering!

1 Like

Great! Have you made a decision on the Mac demo version?

I own an RTX 2060 :

I noticed that there are 3 versions of E-Cycles:

to render static images which one would be the most suitable for me?

thanks