E-Cycles - The fastest render engine for Blender. 3.2 release available now!

Hi,
I can’t seem to install the latest version of the Scatter plugin with E-Cycles.
Is this documented? Is there something I can do to solve this (hopefully, the answer to this one would be yes… :face_with_peeking_eye:)?
Thanks for your help and have a great day!
Nicolas

I have Scatter 5.3 running in E-Cycles 3.3.1 with no probs…

1 Like

Here it is running fine as well. 3.3.2 RC

1 Like

I downloaded 3.3.1, unzipped it and it works. Thanks for your replies, it made me feel less lonely! :smiley:

Hey , @bliblubli I am having some issues in the Console, can you tell me what these are?

got new 3.4 version and Animation rendering not working. Nothing happenes after hitting button. File save as temp, .py file is created and nothing…

the same is in 3.3.2… can’t render animations :frowning:

HEEELP

Hi, you should report issues with E-Cycles in reply of a mail from @bliblubli he does not often frequent the forum.
@Vesper the same for your issue.

Cheers, mib

THX - i did it.

Maybe some else have this problem, that even having enough disk space for render animation the proces won’t start? I hit Animation button and nothing… :frowning:

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face: @bliblubli

hey, whats up here? is e-cycles in devolopment anymore? greets thanx phil

1 Like

Sadly, Mathieu pulled the plug on it recently. :- (

Source of this info?

I emailed him when I could not log into E-C account/downloads on gumroad and got this reply:

E-Cycles is stopped, that’s why I cancelled all memberships… (then there was a link to a gumroad notification page that was supposed to explain further but is no longer there)…The last 3.4.1 builds will still continue to work even after your membership was cancelled so that you can continue to work with E-Cycles as long as you want. Theft and it’s support by the big platforms in the community made it impossible to continue in acceptable conditions. I hope the Blender Foundation with it’s many devs can do better.

Kind regards,
Mathieu

2 Likes

Yes, he apparently got banned from a “big platform” for stating the theft of his code by a competitor. Looks like the thief (alleged or not) is a friend of the founders of said platforms, so E-Cycles got the boot. Now he can’t find co-developers, since anybody can go ahead and steal the code again wthout repercussions, so why bother?
Really, really bad, since I rely on it to get my stuff done in a halfway acceptable timeframe on my old rig. Excellent product.

2 Likes

@norka
Thanks. So, developer stopped developing his product, yet it is still available to buy on gumroad, without information about cancelation?

he apparently got banned from a “big platform” for stating the theft of his code by a competitor

@Corniger
You forgot to mention how he handles this situation (very rude and insolent), and how ridiculous were the allegations (something like “you were on my coding course and you use my code!”; you shouldn’t not someone own code if you don’t want to be “robbed”). So were someone robbed or not? If not, please don’t call someone a thief.
Also, I’ve never seen any proof from Matthieu about “code robbery”, it would be really easy to prove his claims - changes made in Blender should be public, but those in Cycles are not obligatory.
Besides, E-Cycles and K-Cycles are not so fast as they were - they are even slower than Cycles (it varies from settings and cases). But, they have some other features like Tonemapping or Light Linking, so on this topic there were also robbery?

Now he can’t find co-developers, since anybody can go ahead and steal the code again wthout repercussions, so why bother?

Yeah right, so he is not able to give NDA to sign by his co-workers? It’s not like that anybody goes work to someone and steal everything to make his own product; there were cases like Otoy vs. Pinksoft (FStorm) so yet it is possible to apply for your rights. It’s costly and very exhausting, so it’s better to make own software to be better than competition, be nice and have some proofs (like code comparing), if you have allegations.

Many posts were deleted, also I can’t find a statement from Blender Market guy about this situation - if someone remember it, please send a link!

2 Likes

It’s not as clear cut as that, if you only take the cycles code, and integrate it into something else (example cycles 4D) this is indeed how the apache2 license that cycles has works.

However if you ship cycles combined with the rest of blender (or any other GPL code), the GPL license applies to the combined work (of blender + cycles) and you are very much obligated to make all code including cycles changes available.

The E-Cycles changes were made available (by the E-Cycles developer) under the GPL in these code submissions D12316, D12318 on the blender tracker.

How something that was made publicly available could be stolen, seems a bit of a mystery to me though…

5 Likes

Well ok, In that case the entire story reads a bit differently…

I don’t remember details such as a coding course - that would be like slamming someone for applying contents of a tutorial in his project.

As a single (?) person legally fighting for a fringe product seems practically impossible. So the demise of E-Cycles seems to be a direct result of the competitor’s doing, and judging by the reviews I’ve seen the „coding course“ version also is not „own software“ or „better than the competition“, but as a general rule, yes, definitely, I agree. It takes diplomacy and politics, brownnosing and probably self reflection to persist in this market. I, personally, would rather move into the addon business than outperforming Blender“s development speed :sweat_smile:

However - basically remaking someone else’s product for cheap, even if you have the right, is… well, up to anyone. I understand if the E-Cycles dude isn’t happy about it. Neither am I. I don’t think I’ll invest in any future Blender fork anymore, addon developers brush off responsibility if something doesn’t work and judging from the tremendous amount of work this seems to be, any smaller business may be bound to burn out on maintaining it, so I kind of fooled myself on that one.

And if the code was made public - ok, let’s use different semantics, it wasn’t stolen, it was „inspired by“ :joy: There are other addon developers using this code as well, to every customer’s benefit. Still, it would bug me to have someone copy and undercut me, but that’s the risk you take.

It really is a shame that Mathieu quit developing E-Cycles - especially because of the amazing instant light linking that E-Cycles delivered and that my workflow is quite dependend on by now… my only hope now is that the code isn’t just lost but maybe integrated into the native Cycles X for some part. I don’t think I was using any addon as intensely as E-Cycles

2 Likes

It is a shame.
The glare was perfect. I’ll miss that as well.
I’ve been using it since 2019, I’ll miss it!

2 Likes

what is the newest version of e-cycles. is there a 2023 version?