E-Cycles - The fastest render engine for Blender. 3.2 release available now!

Thanks for the update! I got a CUDA error and it doesn’t start rendering. Just telling you what message I get. I hope it helps somehow. Just a bug report, I don’t expect anything at all in the next few days. Take all the time you need. Most addons are broken right now, Blender underwent some changes in the last week or so it seems. :slight_smile:

“CUDA binary kernel for this graphics card compute capability (6.1) not found.” Windows 10, GTX 1060 6GB.

I have the same error with a 1080Ti and last driver update

@bliblubli Mac version won’t startup. Ending before start. Blowing up.

@BloQi, @TheFlow, may he has forgotten to build or copy the cuda kernels.
Copy the kernel_sm_61_0.cubin from the older version or a build bot version should work.
On linux they are in E_cycles_2.8/2.80/scripts/addons/cycles/lib/

Cheers, mib

Faster Graswald rendering with E-Cycles.

2 Likes

Hi Brent, nice demo ! (as usual :wink: )
any tips to increase stability in animation ? (beside fixed noise pattern seed)
eg: values for min samples in such graswald scene ?
Under 2.79 was used to use “temporal” anti-aliasing instead of “spacial” one, decreasing aa samples and increasing motion blur samples.

Not yet, still working through E-Cycles settings under varied conditions. Thanks regarding the vids, hope they help.

Hi Kruchy,
for me it starts, do you have an error message if you start it from the command line. Maybe an addon? There were so many changes in Blender 2.8 last days that it’s hard to know what that could be. E-Cycles part of the code is the same as in previous build.

Hi @TheFlow and @BloQi ,
just out of curiosity, could you please send a scene that gives this error? I suppose BMW and classroom work for you?

Hi,

Thanks for reply
It doesn’t work with any scene as long as I use gpu render. I just tried the BMW scene and it doesn’t work as well

Hi,
I just uploaded new builds for mac and windows. It should fix all issues.

Fixed indeed on Windows, thank you very much

1 Like

should be fixed too with the new build?

Awesome :slight_smile: 3min48 to 1min14 that’s 228s to 74s = 3,08x faster with an exterior :slight_smile:

@bliblubli Yep it is fixed and running! Thank you!

1 Like

Mac v20190523 works great now. Thanks.

TIP for Mac: if you have CUDA memory error try to shut down Apple Motion - it can take up a lot of GPU memory (even if no Motion project is opened!).

1 Like

Hmm, when u use Limited Global Illumination, it doesn’t turn on the AO trick, so I’m wondering if it was on in the Cycles settings, if it wasn’t, it was not a fair comparison.

What I’m trying to say is that all the optimizations neatly placed in the Quick Settings are already present in standard Cycles except the scrambling distance and that one is the game changer. Someone correct me if I’m wrong :), I could be missing something.

Maybe the best way to compare E-Cycles with standard Blender builds is to set up a scene in E-Cycles first and then open it also in standard build. That way ALL the optimizations will be shared. That’s how I did my tests and got this about 30% speedup thanks to scrambling distance parameters…

Hi,
if you only get 30% and only by using scrambling distance, it’s not normal. This 2 graphs

times%201080Ti%20march

times%202080Ti%20march
and the video the first row of this video are made by just opening a file and hit render.

The result of using presets/tweking parameters in Blender is what you see on the second row.
If you use a CUDA GPU to render and really the speed is the same out-of-the-box for the path tracing phase, then please make a bug report with your hardware, OS/Driver and a file to reproduce.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification, this info is what I needed!

So it could be that it has to do with my hardware (GTX960M+i7-6700HQ CPU) which is a bit slow and relies partly on the CPU.

I’ll do some more tests while I work and let u know.

Hey @bliblubli , I think I received an email from you saying something about problems with the course diffs and the latest version of the code of 2.8, am I right?

Can I apply scramble distance and dithered sobol to my own 2.8 build without trouble?

I was going to do it today, but I wanted to confirm with you this first.

Cheers!