E-Cycles - The fastest render engine for Blender. 3.2 release available now!

I really recommend to stay on the commit I mentioned to follow the course. The code is changing very fast still, so to learn it’s best to spend time on your code and what you want to achieve than resolving merge/rebase conflicts. I do that because it’s my job now, but you are free. If you are already experienced with git, go for latest master, otherwise, work on an older version and wait for 2.80 to be released officially.
Scrambling distance and dithered sobol can be applied on master, but it requires a bit more work now. I’ll add a new video for that in the coming weeks. I first have to finalize the June update.
Cheers

Indeed, the GPU is made faster. The user preferences of Blender makes it a bit misleading by putting the CPU in the CUDA tab, although it uses the CPU code path. So your GPU is made faster by E-Cycles, your CPU is as fast as with regular Blender. To have them both work well together, you need a good common tile size, which is 16x16. This is only good on GPU if you have enough samples (above 1000). If you render animations, the best way is to render in 2 instances, one for GPU and one for CPU.

Thanks, will have that in mind!

Ah!

No need to stay in that commit :slight_smile:
I don’t know how to fix a diff to be applied to new code, but I’m doing it manually and so far is going pretty good, and that’s thanks to the course :slight_smile:

One question, I can’t find the DIFF for the scramble distance on gumroad, I’ve found the smart scramble diff, but not the video or diff for scramble distance, where are the video and the diff? or is it included in the smart scramble diff?

Thanks!

EDIT: I can’t find it, in the video “Scrambling Distance” you start saying “now that we have the scrambling distance patch”, but there is no video where we apply the scrambling distance patch or I’m missing something :slight_smile:

Hi Juang,
I’m glad the course helped you to keep up to date, even when their are big changes like we are having now :slight_smile:
For details/help on the course, I prefer PMs as it’s the E-cycles thread here if it’s ok for you?

Yes of course! :slight_smile:

But no worries, I solved the problem :slight_smile:

OOOO YEAH !!! It’s fixed !!!

and You fixed something else. Look at this two renders. Old version has something wrong with reflections in that wood wall, they were unnatural. Now it’s nice and ok.

1 Like

a quick scene based on a reference image.

}
E-cycles obviously xD

12 Likes

Love the 1 point perspective.

3 Likes

Mathieu,
The latest E-Cycles Windows build in BlenderMarket reads “E_cycles_2.8_v20190523_win” as the 7z file name, but the “E_cycles_2.8_v20190522_win” is the actual folder inside the zip file, is this correct?

yes it’s correct. I only fixed some files that were missing in the previous archive. But really, I recommend to stay on the version from last week for serious work. Monday was the last day to commit changes to Blender 2.8, which is now in bug fix only period. So all devs thrown all the patches they could at once. For stability and best experience, I would wait another 2 weeks for it to stabilize.

1 Like

Good to know it’s fixed for you. I guess the april update already had the fix? It looks like the reflection bug that was in the classroom scene. Anyway again here, I recommend staying on the build from last week if you experience any issues with the new build. Lot of changes were made in Blender last week.

Hey Entity,
I was thinking about you yesterday and I’m really happy to see your new render :slight_smile: Lightning, mood, texturing, perspective… I like it all :slight_smile:
Thanks a lot for sharing. @bartv Should be featured on Blenderartists?

1 Like

Ok gotcha!

It’s a cool image. He should post it on Finished Projects and we might pick it up :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@bliblubli I just uploaded my render o.O

2 Likes

Yeah, really dig this one…like a mirror within a mirror. Much can be said about this piece.

1 Like

E-Cycles 2.8 Vector Displacement Map speed comparison with default Cycles renderer. Something I definitely could not do in Octane/Blender.

4 Likes

E-Cycles just made it to the Popular Creations This Week section of Blender Market!

2 Likes

Yes, just saw E-Cycles in the popular creations yesterday and was really happy :slight_smile: Thanks to all who made that possible, trusting me from the first days, posting awesome renders, showcasing it’s power and spreading the word. It all gives me strength to make it better :slight_smile:

10 Likes