E-Cycles - The fastest render engine for Blender. 3.2 release available now!

Congratulations @bliblubli ,
Thank you for all of your hard work. Love your Coding Blender course and E-Cycles is a render beast. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Keep up the great work Mathieu, it has purpose and is needed.

2 Likes

so now you can quite your job and script cycles every day, amazing ! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Hi Mat,

Congrats!
I have the last version for 2.8 and im receiving and error when I try to regen or create the node setup for the denoiser. Do you know what can be?

Cheers,
Pato.

Mat,

Large performance slow down using auto tiles (small tiles) with latest 5/23 build.

BMW Test scene with Nvidia 2x2070 and default settings with 5/23 build.
Auto Tiles On (16x16): 1:25.26
Auto Tiles Off (256x256): 0:23.27

BMW Test scene with 2x2070 and default settings with 5/10 build.
Auto Tiles On (16x16): 0:21.30
Auto Tiles Off (256x256): 0:23.12

Yes, Iā€™ll rewrite Cycles with a scripting language and it will be 10x faster :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Hi Pato,

The addon wasnā€™t changed, but regenerating the node tree requires a compositor window to be opened as the error message says normally? Or do you have another error?

Cheers,
Mat

Hi Eric,
I already have a fix for that, it will be available tomorrow for all platforms with several other bug fixes that were issued for Blender. I would still recommend using the build from 10th of May for one or two more weeks. The changes done this week are very big and for serious work, the old version is still much more stable.

3 Likes

Hello everyone,

the new builds are now available for all platforms with all the fixes added to Blender 2.8 as of today. All reported E-Cycles bugs were fixed. I still recommend to use the v20190516 version to work on serious projects as very big changes were made to several parts of Blender last week.

Happy Blending!

6 Likes

Hi, thanks for the update, start testing. :slight_smile:

Cheers, mib

1 Like

I was still getting some crashes to desktop while rendering animations with Keep User Interface and Blender minimizedā€¦ so then I started switching to User Perspective and rotating view away from all the action (looking at nothing), then starting render and minimizingā€¦ No crashes lately with this method. Perhaps I stumbled onto something?..

1 Like

E-Cycles vs Octane/Blender volumetric rendering speed differences, oh what fun!
2 Likes

Thanks for looking for a workaround as it will make hunting the bug easier. A crash is always a bug. E-Cycles has 100% the same UI code as Blender, so the bug is most certainly in 2.80 builds. It would be good to make 2 blends ( exact same scene, but one at a viewpoint that crashes, the other ok) and post them on developer.blender.org if it happens on Blender buildbots too.

Hey.

I have blocks in my renderings. Any idea how this can be fixed? I use V2.8 and the issue is there in the latest version as well as the version from 0516.

Interesting stuff. I have been following this along and itā€™s going well.
My question is: Now that you have been working on this 6 months what indication from Blender developers have you had that they will adopt any of it? Are they even talking about what you have achieved here or is this going to fall by the wayside like so many cool projects as ā€˜not invented at BIā€™ or have the patches sitting in a queue and never appraised/adopted?
Surely at this time they ought to be indicating if it has a future or notā€¦
I wouldnā€™t like for you to get to a year and then they say ā€˜well its really not suitableā€™ or such.
I guess it could be enabled as ā€˜performance optimised renderingā€™ like they have ā€˜experimentalā€™ features discretely hidden if they are wanting to be purist about things.

1 Like

oh, the app icon is old :slight_smile: letā€™s try the app

Devs are very busy right now, I think it will be better to speak about possible inclusion in master after 2.80 was released and the devs got a break. As a user you will always have a solution for faster rendering whatever happens. I made a course so you can be independent of others decisions.

2 Likes

Hey Andreas,
does it happen only after compositing or before? Anyway, if the bug is not in buildbots, please provide a file and Iā€™ll investigate.

English is not my mother tong. What do you mean?

And I said it many times in this thread, but Iā€™ll say it again, I recommend the course to ANYONE that wants to understand how blender code works on the inside!

Iā€™ve been able to do the recent particle performance patch thanks to the course! (and the final one thanks to revision of Brecht and the help of others too :slight_smile: )

But Iā€™ve been able to look into the code for possible optimizations thanks to this course! :slight_smile:

Cheers!

5 Likes