Early Frost

“Early Frost” Based on an artwork by Alex Pahomov
I liked the composition and idea and I had to make something inspired by it. It’s not a 1:1 recreation, as I changed the angles a little bit, added snow on the fox, and also the tongue, and also changed the colors of the leaves.
I cheated a bit with the models because of time constraints (the head, body and tail are all separate, they are not rigged, and only the head is retopo’d and UV’d manually). I wanted to try several new things, including the new hair system and some geometry nodes techniques too so that’s what I focused a lot on. This was made in only 13 hours, which is way too fast for a properly modeled character and environment, but oh well, I only wanted one render from this specific angle and pose. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Blender’s new hair system was a little confusing and clunky to set up at first, but I really like it. It solved issues I had in the past with clumping and density, and it is way more powerful and modular. This is a very welcome update!

Software used : Blender 3.6.1 + Cycles, Affinity Photo, Substance 3D Sampler, XNormal, Online Normal Map Generator.

Clay render, progress and wireframe : https://www.artstation.com/artwork/NyJ4y5

Follow me for more art on ArtStation https://www.artstation.com/abdoubouam

89 Likes

Love that curious face you captured for the fox. Great color choices!

2 Likes

Thank you!

I love this Abdou.
Wonderful work, I also love his face. And the whole concept.
I thought it was amazing before I saw it was you who had created it.
You are a very talented guy, my friend.
Andy.

1 Like

Good to see you here Andy, thanks for the kind words!

:smiley:
Top work…

1 Like

Thank you!

You’re on the featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Awesome, thanks a lot!

1 Like

I want to boop it! :fox_face: :point_left:

So cute. Lovely piece.

Same lol
Thank you!

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

awesome, thanks!

1 Like

Hi, this is excelent work, I like it very much :wink:

1 Like

Thank you, I appreciate it!

Such fantastic work! I love the fox’s expression of anticipation, like he can already taste the berries!

He looks so adorable and full of personality. The little details like the snow on the fox add a lot too. Great fur too.

That’s a perfectly adequate reason not to run through the full game/cinema pipeline for a fully rigged and retopoed character and full environment. You’re not really cheating, you’re budgeting your time and effort appropriately for the task at hand.

I appreciate it!

Thanks!

Yeah I’m generally ok with “cheating”, when I am sure I know how to otherwise properly make it for collaboration/animation/game…etc. But I feel like I still need to mention this when when it’s something I’m putting in my portfolio haha. I’m still very proud of how it turned out, definitely my favorite personal artwork of 2023

1 Like

That’s so cute!

1 Like