Earth columns

This image is part of a project I did last semester at ETH Zürich during my masterstudies in architecture. Earth columns is a research into the potential of structural rammed earth columns in a multistory construction. Reused oil barrels as formwork, lost formwork and stiff joint in a modular, prefabricated and reusable building system.

Some furniture assets are modeld by myself others found on 3dwarehouse. Sadly my gpu couldn’t afford real displacement on the earth columns due to the already high polycount of the scene.
Hope you like it :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Great work! I love it! :slight_smile:

Can I ask how u archived the look/material of the rammed earth columns? So in “real” life the workers would use the barrels to ramm the earth inside of it and then afterwards put them on top of each other?

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thank you! Not sure if I get your question right in the render its just a rammed earth texture that i made myself from a photo.
In “real”, yes you would ramm the earth into the oil barrels and then cut them open in two halfs. The two halfs you then use to make the ceilling elements and the column elements you stack on top of each other. We did during the semester a 1:1 scale mockup of the elements with real oilbarrels.

Thank you Bart, you too have a great weekend!

1 Like