Earthrise | A Short Inspired By An Apollo 8 Photo

Hi to everyone in the community! Here goes my virgin post after a stretch of admiring from afar.

Still from the animation that resembles the original ‘Earthrise’ image.

Best viewed on mobile and with the video quality set at 1440p

This is a personal project I did, initially inspired by a photograph that the Astronaut Bill Anders took of the ‘Earthrise’ that occurred during the Apollo 8 mission.

Everything was done in Blender, from deleting the default cube through to compositing and post. Rendered in Eevee, with music from Freesound.

Music credit: “Cinematic Vio1 by HSWS Phantastonia” - https://freesound.org/people/phantastonia/sounds/428675/

Here’s a few stills from each shot:

I’d love any and all feedback, It’ll help when I eventually revisit the project further down the line.

5 Likes

Hey that’s cool ! Welcome to BA by the way !

How about making a 16/9 format ?
The lasers in the last shot IMO tells another story… It’s cool , so maybe elaborate a bit more on that by adding other shots, or prepare what append in this shot in the previews ones (sounds complicated) , or stick to these space views that are quite nice already, what do you think ?

I find that rendering and camera work is well done, maybe it’s in the editing and story telling that there can be some improvements.
I think you can get rid of the third shot and make the second one last longer, because the third tell the same thing as the second but with less intensity. It’s cool to let that view of earth from the moon for some time. I find that the fade to black is too early.

But hey, it’s great, it’s just that you wanted some feedback :smiley: , you should post stuff more often, it’s promising !

2 Likes

:+1:
Great work, congrats.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum and the world of Blender :slight_smile:
I always like space stuff, so thanks for the post! Would say though that you have to ditch the shallow depth of field since both the moon and earth is SO large you would have to have a lens with a aperture of something like 0.01 to get that kind of DoF.

1 Like

Thank you! Much appreciated :raised_hands:

1 Like

Awesome, cheers! Appreciate your feedback and I’ll be coming back to the project as soon as I can. I knew I was taking a creative liberty with the DoF as I felt it helped in adding a little extra drama, but will definitely keep in mind for the upcoming re-do :+1:

Thanks for the welcome and for your feedback, it’s very much appreciated!

I completely agree with everything that you’ve said actually, it was all present in mind but unfortunately I didn’t have time to change things before calling it a day. I will definitely get the edits in as soon as I can get back to the project.

I added in the comets as a reminder that, although the Earth seems slow moving, we’re in a Universe filled with objects that rip through space at silly speeds, and to also highlight the fragility of systems much larger than us. Definitely agree that there needs to be some sort of an establishing shot for the larger, closer Earth. At the time I thought of a shot involving the darker side of the earth with the sun creeping around it, I was short on time unfortauntely but it’ll get done at some point - also a good excuse to try out a lens flare, what do you think?

You’re right about the second shot, it does fade to soon and with the third, my attempt at ‘travelling towards’ the Earth to setup the last shot only seemed to take away from the second shot - this will be updated too.

I appreciate what you say about the camera work and rendering! It’s the fade at the end of the second and the third shot, then moving straight into the close up of the Earth that mess with the story/timing/editing - all will be touched up and improved.

Really glad to have got your feedback and compliments, I appreciate your time and look forward to sharing the updated version at some point.

Hey !

It’s already a great achievement, it’s ok to leave it like this and move on to another project !
That said, it’s also cool to fine tune this one. You seem to have a good sense of what can be improved.

I think the last shot is a bit lacking of technical experience (in 3D), I wasn’t sure what I was looking at…
Now it’s clearer, the big laser is in fact a comet, and probably the blue lights are lightning. I was thinking “suddenly the animation is turning into star wars…” . These details are quite hard to get right, especially because that’s something we don’t often see and it’s a bit technically challenging. For the lighting probably the scale can be improved, and it should convey the idea of light inside a volume ( the clouds) . Sound like something quite hard to do.

But the overall idea with this last shot is quite interesting, if done right that clearly add a lot to the narration. It’s worth polishing it if you think you can get it right !

That said, that’s just my opinion, if I’m the only one bothered it doesn’t matter :smiley:

Good luck on your next project, or to add the finishing bits on this one !

1 Like