Easier way to do displacement/bumps to a mesh

What might be the easiest way to add displacement/bumps from noise texture node into a mesh using geometry nodes?

Currenly I have done this basically like this:

• take a noise value (Noise Texture)
  • scale the object normal with the noise value (Normal and Vector Math)
  • add the scaled normal to the position value (ie. create the displacement) (Position and Vector Math)
  • feed the result to Set Postion node

It all works just fine and I get what I want. But feels a bit cumbersome. Is there some kind of height property I could directly transform instead of having to deal with both the position and normal values?

This is how it looks in 3.1 alpha using the “offset” in the set position node. Pretty concise, if you ask me.

Edit: Compare it to the displacement modifier, there you basically have all the same settings, too.

Edit edit: And, you can always put the Normal, Set Position, and the two scale nodes into a group to re-use later, and call it “modify height”.

2 Likes

Oooh! So I can feed the scaled normal straight into Offset! That is exactly what I wanted. And now that I think of it…of course it works. Now I can get rid of the Position and one Vector Math node I thought I needed. So now the original list is:

• take a noise value (Noise Texture)
  • scale the object normal with the noise value (Normal and Vector Math)
  • feed the result to Set Postion node’s Offset

Awesome, thanks, problem solved!

1 Like