Easy Lattice editing addon, you are going to like the way you lattice

I created this addon such a long time ago but I see that it is still useful to people so I have some new plans for it like improving the existing workflow and adding new features.

Please feel free to add your wishlist for this addon, I will take note of them and see if I can implement them as I go.

I will also update it for 2.8 but I am still waiting the API to stabilize soon.

8 Likes

Yo. I’m not the dev, but I just spent some time making some updates to the v0.6 fork of this add-on to make it compatible with Blender 2.8. Seems to work fine now. This is meant as a temporary solution until the real devs update the code themselves and add new features, etc. Hope you guys don’t mind. :blush:

This is a single py file. After you install it, it appends itself to mesh edit mode RMB-click context menu as “Easy Lattice,” and also to the object mode RMB context menu.

UPDATE #4, 5/31:

• fixed (my) bad bug where a specific sub-object selection would be replaced by a whole-mesh selection, oops
  • (still has old bug / limitation that makes is so you can’t work w/ more than one object + lattice at a time)
  • Xray mode now auto-enabled when adding lattice
  • allows you to add lattice in object mode, w/ no sub-obj selection
5 Likes

I am glad to see that people like this add-on enough that they update to the latest version. Thanks for the work.

I am actually in the process of rewriting this add-on with more stuff, however this will take some time. For those who have issues with the 2.80 updated version please post it here, I will at least patch such issues until I have a new version.

thanks

2 Likes

Really appreciate the add-on, and it’s one of my most-used, so I wanted to see how hard it would be to update it myself as I move to 2.8, and I got carried away. :grinning: I’m not a dev, so it’s basically patched using duct tape and rubber bands.

For anyone who downloaded my version yesterday, I fixed a bunch of bugs just now, so try downloading it again if it’s giving you trouble. I’ll keep making small tweaks to the linked github code in the coming days if I need to, but I’ll stop bumping this thread needlessly now and leave the rest up to @kkar

Hey,

I was almost ready to release the new and improved version of this addon. I did a full rewrite of it for 2.80 however I hit a bug where undoing just after any lattice operations in Python crashes Blender 2.80. I won’t be able to release this until it is fixed, I do not want anyne loosing their work due to unexpected crashes.

Please feel free to test the bug that I reported ,and chime in to raise some awareness of the issue.

https://developer.blender.org/T65681

3 Likes

I finally got around all tthe issues surrounding the new version of the add-on and made a release of this new version for 2.80

No worries, there is going to be a free version, I did not get around to prepare the free version. Please watch the new thread for updates. I wont be updating this topic anymore since I am focusing on 2.80 versions.

1 Like

Hi KKar i am interested in your addon but what is the difference with fit lattice?

Not that 5$ more would kill me but i would like to know before i buy.

Hi,

It seems like the main difference is that Fit Lattice works only in the Object mode while EZLattice supports the Object and the Edit modes with arbitrary vertex/edge/polygon selections.

Btw this thread is for the older version of the add-on. EZLattice has its own thread.

1 Like

OK thank now i see! As a last question does it work in isolated mode?

Good question, I did not try it however it is a legit thing to implement. Feel free to ask for a refund if that does not work you and is an important feature you look for.

This could be implemented if isolate mode lets you have more than one object at a time.

Btw the free version of EZLattice supports the edit mode. You can actually save that $5 by using Fit Lattice for the object mode and EZLattice for the edit mode :slight_smile: Just saying

1 Like

Hi there,

Great addon!

One suggestion!
On creating a new lattice, apply default values and call up a menu to adjust u,v,w values. That way users can see the lattice as they are dialing in the values. I would also be helpful to add a shortcut to the context menu to further adjust the lattice after its been confirmed.In the event that incorrect values are added.

Hi there.

I am happy to hear that you think this is very helpful.

There is an N panel for EZlattice. Just press N there is a tab for it with some additions like divisions, smoothing etc. It is available for the EZlattice controllers. Let me know.

Hihi, Yea I see it, but I feel its another step so it would be more efficient to have it on creation as opposed to calling something to edit it. Just mah 2 cents, its already very helpful!