Easy workflow for creating a proper floor geometry?

Hello,
maybe I am facing a really easy problem, but i can’t figure out how to easily create a non-ngon-like shape. In my case i want to fill a floor in the shape of a room.

If i simply press F in edit mode with the loop edge select, it will create a ngon like this

In order to exportto unity I dont want ngons, so triangulating (and tris to quads) could be quick and dirty but it ends up like this

I read somewhere that for easy editing matter, the mesh shouldnt be triangulated and i really don’t feel to triangulate such an “easy” geometry.

So i fiddled around, creating one big square that covers the dimension of the room and added loop cuts and finally deleted all the outside the room placed faces … i ended up with something like this

Much better … but what i also don’t like here is the unneccesary count of quads which can be reduced to single quads … so i tried again with extruding and fiddling around and i ended up in this solution which is the most satisfying with the least polycount yet …

However … this is really annoying, since it feels that there must be a way to get this quicker … so how to have that plane consisting of rectangles but with least poly count?
Is there any tool that can be used to be more effective? How would you do that?

Best

Use the example with all the loop cuts and just dissolve the unwanted edges so you end up with as few rectangles as possible.

you have a couple of n-gons which will be triangulated on export and might lead to unwanted results.

For simple geometry like this I would just triangulate it by hand or make quads by hand.
As for unneccessary polygons, well, game engines can handle hundreds of thousands if not millions of polygons these days so it doesn’t really matter if you can reduce your floor geometry from 15 to 10. It will not impact fps in any meaningful way.

Right. I over-simplified the problem and forgot that we were trying not to create ngons.

Then like you said I would just leave all the loop cuts and who cares about a few extra edges.

Thanks for your responses. So the conclusion is, that there is no obvious and easy no-brainer solution to this.
The background is: Whenever I work with blender and doing stuff since months and it feels i doing it overcomplicated, then in most cases i do it indeed overcomplicated. Because most of the time i see later than a tutorial where somebody is doing the same stuff in a fraction of a time and that is really annoying seeing somebody using two shortcuts when you need a half hour to get the same result …

Would something like this work for you?

With a little bit of work you can get the edges aligning better than in my example.

If this solution can work for you, here’s the one minute tip:
https://twitter.com/JanvandenHemel/status/1265002357257129986

For a game engine, whats wrong with your triangulated mesh? It’s a flat surface so shading wont be an issue, plus even if you imported an ngon filled mesh, the engine triangulates everything anyway so it most likely would’ve ended up like that anyway.

Turning it all into quads just adds unnecessary geo.

Please correct me if i am wrong … but as far as i know the problem with an ngon is mainly that every engine triangulates the faces in another way … so what looks like in blender okay can look like in another engine broken. I think that might not matter when they faces are all on the same level, but for other geometry that might matter …

So yes, for the floor, triangulating might be the best way to go … its the fastest method with the least polys … when there is a need to edit the floor then the floor can be recreated again with quads …

For me it was mainly the question how all the 3D artist out there would handle this and what are their reasons to do so.

Thanks a lot guys :slight_smile:

1 Like

So the mostly-quads from the video I posted above don’t work for you?