Eclipse for debugging python in Blender

I read through Witold Jarwoski’s excellent e-book on setting up Blender with Eclipse, but I am running into problems.

Has anyone had any success in setting this up lately?

i didn’t set it up recently
but i’m using that method every day with daily updated svn builds

Oh, brilliant.

Is there the slightest smidgen of a chance of you providing me with a Blender file and a "hallo world "script and whatever info you might have regarding your setup that I can try this for myself?

I’m finding the whole process rather frustrating, as there appears to be gaps in the information.

Essentially, I managed to get Eclipse installed, the PyDev debug server listening, and launched Blender from Eclipse and got the console output displayed i Eclipse. However, despite setting a breakpoint in Eclipse, nothing happens. I am very mystified by all this.

if i were you
i would start from scratch again following the pdf
, you probably missed something somewhere

do you have run.py and pydev_debug.py in blender bin folder ?
you have that pypredef stuff in doc folder ?

this is my run.py:
#########################"

SCRIPT = “/home/your_foo_path/blender_python.py”

this file contains the python code you want to run

#path to your org.python.pydev.debug* folder (it may have different version number, in your configuration):
PYDEVD_PATH=’/home/your_path/eclipse_juno/plugins/org.python.pydev_2.7.3.2013031601/pysrc’

BLENDER_BUILD_BIN = ‘/home/your_path_to_blender/build/bin’

import sys
if BLENDER_BUILD_BIN not in sys.path:
sys.path.append(BLENDER_BUILD_BIN)

import pydev_debug as pydev

pydev.debug(SCRIPT, PYDEVD_PATH, trace = True)

##########################

i’m on ubuntu by the way
so things might be a little different on other os

so start the debug server in eclipse
load that run.py file in your blender text editor
and click ‘run script’

Gonna give this a whirl. Thanks for this.

You can also use Microsoft Visual Studio Express (free) for Python coding.
I have tried that and its working.

@sc3sc3

Are your pypredef files up to date? My script to generate the predef files has stopped working sometime around blender 2.6ish. Thought maybe it was the python 3.2 -> 3.3 switch but that hasn’t seemed to affect it. If you like, would you like to join this github repo?

@@patmo141

i don’t really pay much attention to those pypredef files to be honest
( they are not that crucial for the whole functioning, they are responsible for auto-completion etcera )
the only thing that has to be maintained is that pypredef_gen.py which creates those pypredef files

What a frustrating process. Anyway, with all your help and some pixie dust it all works now.

Many thanks for all your invaluable assistance.