Editing World Nodes

I was not sure about where else to ask about this. Furthermore, I was highly skeptical about the safety of making a thread specifically for this question, or even taking it to Blender Stack Exchange:

May I ask about how to edit world nodes? I am trying to get volumetrics working, but so far, no dice. If anyone wants screenshots of my attempts, please let me know.

1 Like

Go to your node editor, and there on the left side of the top bar, just next to the View, Select, Add, Node menus is a little dropdown that usually defaults to Object. Click that, select World, and you’re rolling.

1 Like

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I feel so blind! Thank you so much, I did not notice that there!

3 Likes

no worries happens to all of us at one point :wink:

Yeah, kinda like how it took me about 15 minutes to find the node editor in 2.8. I kept looking and looking and looking, and just couldn’t find it. I figured they took it out during the pre-alpha due to stability issues or something.

…then I saw it, and realized they renamed it to shader editor. Felt dumb.

1 Like

:clap: This makes 100% perfect sense especially for those times when you are using Animation nodes and Sverchok

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m not sure I really like this. I mean, I can see why you would want it like this. It’s more direct to the task at hand. But it means that eventually there will have to be a new editor entry in the list for each of the new node graph types. Since, we are eventually getting “everything nodes” that could be a lot.

Why not just have a ‘Node’ column in the editor list with all the different node editor types below?

The “shader editor” seems like a easy to understand name to novices, but in fact this represent a problem with other tools that does use the editor. What about compositing?

Node editor was split into 3 editors : Shader Editor, Texture Editor and Compositing.

I see. Thanks. So there is no “fast” way of reaching an “animation node”. Maybe can it be done via addon?

I don’t think that “everything nodes” implies lots of other editors like that.
Generally, we are talking about constraints, modifiers, particles and logic bricks of interactive mode.
So, we are talking about 4 or maybe just 3 or maybe more 5 or 6 if new ideas come up.
Plus 3 actual, it means a total of 7 or 8 editors.
It means too many to keep them as buttons inside the header. But not enough to fill a column.
If we merge them all as one node editor solution, best solution would be a dropdown menu in header.

In practice, multiplying node ediors does not change usability. We will still be able to call an editor by assigning a shortcut to it.
There will probably be an ability to create a pie-menu to switch between node editors.
And we can still build identical workspaces and just change type of node editor in each.

Addon for 2.79 is mixing all categories of nodes under one kind of scene nodegraph.
It is probably the way interactive mode will work.
But I am not sure if particles ,constraints or modifiers nodes will be fused under this interactive mode or if there will be a nodegraph dedicated to each one.

LOL! Yeah, you’re kind of making my point pretty clearly here/ :wink:

I think of it like this: People will be looking for the different node editors for different tasks. To me (obviously not you) it makes more sense to have them grouped together. I do like that there are separate entries in the menu for composite nodes and Material nodes but it’s not clear right off the bat that they are node editors.

So far the node editors we know of are:

• Materials
  • Compositing
  • Texture
  • Constraints/Rigging
  • Modifiers/Modeling/Deformers/etc.
  • Particals/Physics
  • Logic/interactive

That’s not even accounting for Sverchok, Animation nodes or other custom node graphs. As you can see this could easily occupy an entire column of the Editors menu. To me, It makes logical sense to group them together. I think it would also help with discoverability too. Theres probably more than a few people wanting to open up Blender and just mess around with nodes.

But of course, this it just my opinion.

EDIT: I guess to me it’s more about easily recognizing them as node editors. Maybe it’s just as simple as some kind of signifier in the icon or even a background color change for node editor icons. Just something to make it more obvious.

People should look at the render graph from guerilla!

1 Like

For me, addons like Sverchock or Animation nodes have same purpose than theses categories not yet present in 2.8 but that are supposed to be created, nodes for interactive mode or modifier/particles nodes.
We are talking about same thing : nodes for modelling or animation purposes.

I did not count those ones because everything nodes are supposed to replace them.

I never saw other custom node graphs addons that have other purpose.
But maybe, 2.8 will allow or require other things. It is why I let a doubt about how many node editors could be present. I have difficulties to see for what purpose, the number of editors needed could go beyond 7 editors.
So, for me, ability given in 2.7x to create custom nodes does not mean an incredible expansion of node editors in 2.8.

If a node editor is present for interactive mode but without all necessary nodes, these kind of addons will probably complete this lack by adding nodes to same editor.
But how long will it take to adapt these addons to 2.8 ? Will it be valid to spend energy in such addons when it could be spent in official “everything nodes” task ?
We don’t know, yet.

If there is no beginning of interactive mode nodes in several months before 2.80 release, there will probably be a way through python API to create fake editors.
It would probably be easy for creators of custom node graphs to make a node editor dedicated to these nodes.

Having one node editor or several, I just perceive that as a visual UI preference.
If it is the most widely shared, I don’t see a problem with having just one node editor that will have several views like Dope Sheet that have 6 views.

If there are several node editors, it would make sense to add a Node Editing category to Editor Type menu.
But all of this is just an UI discussion that should probably be in another thread.